Emergency...help!

fellow

OK here's the problem. I have a 125 gallon partial reef tank at my office. There is close to 200 lbs of live rock in the tank. My office staff put an anemone in the tank....Ritteri to be specific. Long story short the thing died while I was out of town. We had a dead anemone in the tank for 2 days without being removed. the tank is cleaned professionally by a so called marine biologist weekly. He subsequently changed 30 gallons this afternoon with little effect to the clarity of the water. My question is: Is there anything that I can do to drastically change the ammonia in the system? I have well over $5000 in livestock so losing the tank is NOT AN OPTION. please help soon.
-fellow-

j21kickster

hey-
1. Do a larger waterchange- 40 gallons
2. run some fresh carbon and relapce it after a day- do this several times- (do as much as possible)
3. Keep skimmer running- just in case you dont
4. I believe seachem just came out with a product the eleminates ammonia in SW tanks- i would try to get some- before it was just for FW tanks-
5. Tell the person who did it that they will not do it again
6. good luck and if uyou need any more help, just ask

fellow

I have fresh carbon in the sump. The skimmer is skimming like crazy(euro reef). My fish look like they are going to die. About the seachem product...is it a proven product or a gimmick like most reef "miracle working" products. I hate most chemicals.

j21kickster

seachem is a well respected company and an ammonia eliminating additive is not like a reef safe ich med- it can be done- your ammonis isnt too bad but you need to get it down- keep that carbon replced often- (every other day to daily) contrary to common belief - it dosent last as long as most say it does-

fellow

LIVESTOCK TANK...............I have two smaller reefs at my house...only one problem, they are all filled with sps, soft and sponges. I have three large angels that would love to have a feast. I am going to take out the clowns, gobies and blennies. Thanks alot.
seachem is well respected, but that makes no difference to me.

j21kickster

Originally posted by fellow
seachem is well respected, but that makes no difference to me.

ok, let me clarify that they are well respected b/c they sell quality products- if you dont care- there isnt much else i can say about it:(

jarvis

I would be a little leary of adding the product. I remember reading a post of someone adding ammonia lock to his make up water in a relitivly freshly set up tank, but fully cycled. I cant remember the details but he was getting small amounts of ammonia and Nitite because the natural bacteria colonies were able to sluff off so to speak. I would think that if you would use a product like this it would take longer for system to get back to normal. How about a product like cycle made by hagen. I belive that it has live bacteria colonys in the bottle slowly to take care of the ammonia more natrally vs just making it less toxic. I look at it as correction vs covering up. I will check out the hagen site again.