Emergency! I need a Zoa doctor

earnit33

got frags in the mail today, was shipped in ziplock bowls put in bags, opened box and one bowl leaked out all the water,the other still had a little water.Didn't have a choice but to put them in the tank,no chance of acclimation,But I figured water was better than none until I got back home from work,The frag that had some water is open
but the ones that leaked all the water out is not,is there anything besides waiting a couple of days to see if they make it. Was shipped yesterday don't know how long the bowl was empty, they were still damp looking
Can anyone give me some good news on my problem.The bowls were taped shut but that didn't seem to help any.

flricordia

Originally Posted by earnit33
http:///forum/post/2661147
got frags in the mail today, was shipped in ziplock bowls put in bags, opened box and one bowl leaked out all the water,the other still had a little water.Didn't have a choice but to put them in the tank,no chance of acclimation,But I figured water was better than none until I got back home from work,The frag that had some water is open
but the ones that leaked all the water out is not,is there anything besides waiting a couple of days to see if they make it. Was shipped yesterday don't know how long the bowl was empty, they were still damp looking
Can anyone give me some good news on my problem.The bowls were taped shut but that didn't seem to help any.
Find a very tiny straw, something like one that comes with WD40 cans. Unused of coarse.
If you can get hold of one you can place the zoanthid onto a clean paper towel. Make sure it is white and free of dyes and perfumes.
Next slightly pat dry the mouth area of the zoanthid being careful not to wipe too hard or you could inadvertantly damage the layer of tissue on the disc. TO dry the mouth area you will have to stimulate the zoanthid to open. This can be preformed by tickeling the bottom of its base with a small feather.
Once the mouth is exposed and you have gently wiped place the straw down into the mouth and give 3 gentle blows while having your partner massage at the base approx. .3 mm below the tenticles 4 times. Preform this until either you both relize there is nothing going to become of these actions, or you think you have killed the zoanthid.
Kidding. Just give it a few days. You will be amazed at the ability of the zoanthid to survive out of water as long as it has remained moist. Keep it in a moderate flow area, in a semi-shaded spot and do not bother it. Luck.

detguy313

they should be fine..like flric said they can survive out of water for sometime in the wild they are high an dry at low tide sometimes...i took a small frag out once and forgot about it it was still a little damp but not it water all the way and i found it the next day put it back in the water and it opend right back up like nothing had happened..i also got a freebie once froma store whe i bought some salt and did not know that the guy hooked me up i found it 3 days later water had leaked out and i put it in and few days later they opened up so you should be fine

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2661243
Find a very tiny straw, something like one that comes with WD40 cans. Unused of coarse.
If you can get hold of one you can place the zoanthid onto a clean paper towel. Make sure it is white and free of dyes and perfumes.
Next slightly pat dry the mouth area of the zoanthid being careful not to wipe too hard or you could inadvertantly damage the layer of tissue on the disc. TO dry the mouth area you will have to stimulate the zoanthid to open. This can be preformed by tickeling the bottom of its base with a small feather.
Once the mouth is exposed and you have gently wiped place the straw down into the mouth and give 3 gentle blows while having your partner massage at the base approx. .3 mm below the tenticles 4 times. Preform this until either you both relize there is nothing going to become of these actions, or you think you have killed the zoanthid.

hexedagain1

Kidding. Just give it a few days. You will be amazed at the ability of the zoanthid to survive out of water as long as it has remained moist. Keep it in a moderate flow area, in a semi-shaded spot and do not bother it. Luck.

I started reading this and was thinking, what kind of witchdoctor mumbo jumbo is this.
Good one.

scottminot

This was my fault, lesson learned. I decided to use those Zip Lock throw-away containers. I tested them by filling them with water and dropping them a few times and shaking the crap out of them and they didn't leak.
So I used them and put a plastic baggy around them just in case. Well as you can see they didn't hold up too well. My guess is pressure differences when the container was in the plane may have caused them to leak. Any thoughts? I know I won't ship anything in those again. Back to thermoses!
By the way, the same thing happened to Harris28. He got his frags today and the containers leaked. His frags seem to be doing fine. I'm really sorry about this and like I said it was a lesson learned. Hope everyone's frags do ok.

knockout

I was reading this thinking... what the he!!

jaymz

Originally Posted by sharkbait9
http:///forum/post/2661431
lol me too. I was all like hmmm ok maybe take notes this could be useful.
damn i fell for it.
good one
yeah i was reading it going ok this is odd but who am i to say... until the tickle with a feather part, thats when i knew something was up

rebelprettyboy

lol good one

rs1831

A

alexmir

hahaha, FLRIC HAS LET OUT HIS SECRETS!!! We now know how to make normal frags and rics BEAUTIFUL!!! just tickle them with feathers and rub their discs! haha, i was thinking "this guy is a maniac, he really needs to get some time away from the tank"

blazin2k6

LOL I WAS THINKING THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE. And i was thinking also. WOW FLRICORDEA you must be 1 LONELY MAN to be TICKLING A ZOANTHID And know how to get it to open. Tickle the bottom to make it open ? GENIUS. LOL. wHAT a FUNNY joke that was. And to be so good sounding like you was a zoa doctor for real. LOL.

earnit33

That was a good one!
second one starting to open this morning,I was worried about not being able to temp. acclimate for the most part.still pulling for the third one
Flric all I can say!
you got me going on the straw and feather deal.

earnit33

Originally Posted by scottminot
http:///forum/post/2661408
This was my fault, lesson learned. I decided to use those Zip Lock throw-away containers. I tested them by filling them with water and dropping them a few times and shaking the crap out of them and they didn't leak.
So I used them and put a plastic baggy around them just in case. Well as you can see they didn't hold up too well. My guess is pressure differences when the container was in the plane may have caused them to leak. Any thoughts? I know I won't ship anything in those again. Back to thermoses!
By the way, the same thing happened to Harris28. He got his frags today and the containers leaked. His frags seem to be doing fine. I'm really sorry about this and like I said it was a lesson learned. Hope everyone's frags do ok.
Thanks,And don't give up hope I'm not! It was a good idea!

m0nk

Originally Posted by earnit33
http:///forum/post/2661694
That was a good one!
second one starting to open this morning,I was worried about not being able to temp. acclimate for the most part.still pulling for the third one
Flric all I can say!
you got me going on the straw and feather deal.
Personally I don't even temp acclimate half the time. The thing is that they'll be sitting in that nasty shipping water the whole time. JMO.

earnit33

OK just home from work and the third frag is starting to open
the lights has only been on for about 30 min. So I do beleive they are going to make it! Thanks for the laugh Flric
,Thanks again for the input and I can't wait for all to be open and get a good look at them.

coral keeper

nano reefer

you had me goin untl the ticklle part