Emergency Power Back Up System

silverback

Power back up systems for all aquatic applications.No more fish lost through power cuts or fuses tripping the system guards your tank 24/7 to find out more go to
WWW.MAXIMUSPOWER.CO.UK :happyfish

ohioguy06

Originally Posted by silverback
Power back up systems for all aquatic applications.No more fish lost through power cuts or fuses tripping the system guards your tank 24/7 to find out more go to
WWW.MAXIMUSPOWER.CO.UK :happyfish
Thats a great idea to bad it doesnt last longer than 8 hrs............i would still use the old generator..........

silverback

Originally Posted by Ohioguy06
Thats a great idea to bad it doesnt last longer than 8 hrs............i would still use the old generator..........
If you read the web page you will notice that 8 hours is not the max time it can go for up to 300 hours with no refuelling or noise that genaraters make the duration is up to the your own personnel requirements.

unleashed

if you also read that web site it is brittish lb
1060.40 British Pound(s) = 1887.84 American Dollar(s)
1 USD = 0.5617 GBP
1 GBP = 1.78031 USD
not exactly great savings for the US clients, not to mention these prices do not include overseas shipping rates
if you find a product that comes from another country such as the ones listed here
go to this site http://www.gocurrency.com/add-converter.htm
this is a currency converter and will let you know what the accual Us dollar amount is. for the price listed above I could to home depot and have a emergency generator attatched to my home for automatic run in case of power outage

silverback

If you look at the shipping page it tells you that the company is only active in the U.K so far. The products will be available WORLD WIDE AND THE CURRENCY CONVERTER SWITCHED ON IN DUE COARSE i hope that is helpfull to all.When you look at a site and post comments at least get your FACTS right it does save a lot of red faces.

floorguy

A power inverter and a car battery will do the same thing for under $100. even a generator would work great in an emergency.

lepete

Silverback, I say you are a trolling salesman.
Getting a UPS as a power backup for your aquarum is not effective. In fact, it is absurd. And I say 8 hr is the theoretical max time at the rated power usage. We all know we dont live in a perfect world. If it's not, you need to talk to your marketing guys.
If you are not a salesman, check out the Honda Inverter... super quiet and only for $1000 USD. It'll put out 1800+ Watts as long as you put gas into it.

unleashed

this is just an underthought but kinda reminds me of that commercial with the garden knome that goes to the uk and says something about US appliances not working in the another country and visa versa,he doesnt beleive it and plugs in a hair drier he brought from home and gets shot across the room lol.something about the wiring differences for electrical outlets being oppesite,had absolutely nothing to do with the advertizment they were doing.but if that part is accuarate the company would have to reroute the entire electrical system to be compatable with our electical appliances and equipment.to market it for sale here wouldnt they?or is this just a myth about the difference.

jimnlee

I have a question for you all that have posted to this thread. First let me be upfront...I AM a sales person. My company currently manufactures and sells UPS battery back ups here in the US, mainly for computer use.
We have been exploring the possibility of developing a UPS for aquarium use. I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is of such a product and if you would have any recommendations. we don't have final specs by any means...just doing some top line research right now.
Please let me know if you think this is a worthwhile project and if not, why. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

unleashed

Originally Posted by jimnlee
I have a question for you all that have posted to this thread. First let me be upfront...I AM a sales person. My company currently manufactures and sells UPS battery back ups here in the US, mainly for computer use.
We have been exploring the possibility of developing a UPS for aquarium use. I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is of such a product and if you would have any recommendations. we don't have final specs by any means...just doing some top line research right now.
Please let me know if you think this is a worthwhile project and if not, why. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!
my own personal oppinion there is no I would not go out and spend thousands of dollars just to back up my fish tanks power in case of a power outage.I have already purchased a gas powered generator to cover that area along with the rest of my home for less than half the cost of aboved posted item .if the price were very reasonable and cost effective wise for just powerehead and return pump back up I may concider it.but the cost of a full house natural gas automatic emergency back up generator. to completely power a very large home is cost range $2500-and up.for smaller homes the cost is $1800and up.i live in an area that loses power very often and have 2 very large tanks. my $400 generator (on sale from sears)powers both my tanks,pumps lighting and half my house.cost effective is the key to promote this idea IMO.make it affordable to most hobbiest it will be a hit.

jimnlee

I appreciate the feedback. I should have mentioned, what we're thinking about will have 1 or 2 outlets that will power a pump for somewhere between 2-5 hours. This seems to be the duration for most power outages. The price would probably be between $50 and $75. Again, none of this is set in stone...just checking right now to see if ther's a demand.

unleashed

Originally Posted by jimnlee
I appreciate the feedback. I should have mentioned, what we're thinking about will have 1 or 2 outlets that will power a pump for somewhere between 2-5 hours. This seems to be the duration for most power outages. The price would probably be between $50 and $75. Again, none of this is set in stone...just checking right now to see if ther's a demand.
see now that marketing power something affordable and highly usefull to us all. I hear of people using power backup for pc's all the time as backup power for ther tanks ,so yes there is a demand.

lepete

Battery backup is designed for electrical devices to do graceful shutdown. It is not effective to sustain operation for any useful amount of time.
Let see:
Medium size tank (no light during power outage, no fuge, no sump):
250w heater
35W HOB skimmer
4x 20W Power Head
Total Wattage: 385W (let assume 450W)
APC UPS: 700 VA - 450W (info from APC tech spec)
Tank Runtime: 450W - about 9 min
1 PH Runtime: 20W - 3.4 hr
Cost: $80
APC UPS: 3000 VA - 2200 Watt
Spec Runtime: 2200- - 8.2 min
Tank Runtime: 450W - about 40 min
1 PH Runtime: 20W - 15 hr.
Cost: $550
Weight 142 lb, YES one hundred forty two pounds.
Summary:
If you were to run the above tank using the 700 VA UPS, you'll get 9 minutes of runtime. If you were just to run 1 powerhead, you'll get 3.4 hours. If you are to use the 3000 VA UPS, your tank equipments will run for 40 minutes. If you are just to run your powerhead using this UPS, you'll get 15 hr of runtime.
UPS is an option if you are just using it to oxygenate the water.
Caveat Emptor: If you just provide water movement, you tank temperature will plummet faster to that of room temperature.

nytrillium

The last post sums it up pretty well for the UPS. They just dont have the capacity to run long term. If you wanted to do it you would be better off getting an inverter and a few car batteries like stated above. if you got 4-6 batteries and a large enough inverter you could probably run for a day or two at the most. It would be costly though probably around 500-700$.
These are good ideas in theory but they just arent efficient/plausable. the best bet is an automatic start generator attached to the house.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by lepete
Battery backup is designed for electrical devices to do graceful shutdown. It is not effective to sustain operation for any useful amount of time.
Let see:
Medium size tank (no light during power outage, no fuge, no sump):
250w heater
35W HOB skimmer
4x 20W Power Head
Total Wattage: 385W (let assume 450W)
APC UPS: 700 VA - 450W (info from APC tech spec)
Tank Runtime: 450W - about 9 min
1 PH Runtime: 20W - 3.4 hr
Cost: $80
APC UPS: 3000 VA - 2200 Watt
Spec Runtime: 2200- - 8.2 min
Tank Runtime: 450W - about 40 min
1 PH Runtime: 20W - 15 hr.
Cost: $550
Weight 142 lb, YES one hundred forty two pounds.
Summary:
If you were to run the above tank using the 700 VA UPS, you'll get 9 minutes of runtime. If you were just to run 1 powerhead, you'll get 3.4 hours. If you are to use the 3000 VA UPS, your tank equipments will run for 40 minutes. If you are just to run your powerhead using this UPS, you'll get 15 hr of runtime.
UPS is an option if you are just using it to oxygenate the water.
Caveat Emptor: If you just provide water movement, you tank temperature will plummet faster to that of room temperature.

This will run a powerhead and thermometer for around 6 hours. If in a pinch, I would put the PH on a timer to run for 3 minutes every ten minutes. In a real pinch, I would rip the baterries out of my golf cart.
Mc

sw65galma

Yes just to add that batterys or inverters will not work with heaters.
If you get a 1000+ watt inverter, keep in mind the average car doesn't put that much power out at idle. A car has to put out power x10 because it's only 12 Volts..So to put out 10amps AC you car has to put out 100amps - 12V which most can't unless 3000+rpm.
So your 400watt heater which is about 4 amps would need 40 amps DC from your car, which prolly won't put that out at idle.
Same with Battery Backups...I have the apc 1000va Battery backup on my 92 and the heaters run it at 80%
I have a 4000va for my 300 gallon tank and that runs my tank for a few hours even with the 1000watts of heat.

socal57che

As an automotive technician, I just want to add a little something.
99% of automotive batteries emit sulfuric acid in a gas form. It is poisonous!
PLEASE DO NOT USE THEM IN YOUR HOME!!!!!!!!!
The only exception I know of may be the non-vented gel cells. (optima)

silverback

First Of All Well Said Socal It Is Very Hard Trying To Get The Penny To Drop With Some People.the Majority Seem To Have U.p.s. On The Brain Is It Possible That There Is Something Else? By The Way We Do Not Need To Trawl In Disguise Of A Salesman That Is One Thing I Will Never Do. Take Five Years At Oxford, B.a. First Degree Honours E.tc. By The Way In A Very Advanced Tech Subject, And Just May Be Some People Can Think Out Of The Box? If You Listen To Socal And Take His Wise Advice May Be It Will Set Your Grey Matter In To Gear, Go On I Dare You If Your Head Starts To Hurt You Can Aways Pop A Pill.