Emergency question!

dapak83

one of my PH fell in the sand distrubted the wholw sand bed on my side of the tank.. and it is now not working.... i have aproximatly 7 to 8x turn over rate rite now is it enough for my tank.. and distrubting the sand bed will it cause any spikes?

anonome

I have had the same thing happen to me in my 125g. No ill effects. What size tank are we talking about?

autofreak44

it may cause spikes if its a small tank, keep an eye on the levels and if they do spike do some water changes till they are down. also get another power head in there asap, just keep things flowing.

1journeyman

2-4 inches is a bad depth for sand. Too deep for good critter cleaning, and too shallow for anearobic bacteria.
A healthy sand bed has good surface current to discourage detritus buildup and lots of critters (macro and micro) to keep it stirred and cleaned.
Sand shifting creatures like many gobies can eat your beneficial critters.

A

anmldr

What would a good sand depth be. I thought dsb - 4-5 inches and shallow was around 2 inches..

A

anmldr

so 2 inches would be too shallow to harbor a lot of nitrates, but is too shallow for anaerobic bact? If this is true then he shouldn't have a nitrate spike... Please correct me if I am wrong (still learning).

1journeyman

Originally Posted by anmldr
so 2 inches would be too shallow to harbor a lot of nitrates, but is too shallow for anaerobic bact? If this is true then he shouldn't have a nitrate spike... Please correct me if I am wrong (still learning).
Should be true.
It depends a lot on the condition of the sand though. When the pump stirred it up did you see a lot of junk? Does the sand look clean?

dapak83

i got home the pump was on the bed not working... sand was clean and other then the bed being ut of plce... everything look clean and clear! and all the fishes were sleeping where they would normally!

A

anmldr

should be ok then from my understand of Journey's explanation and since your sand looks clean. I would still monitor chemistrys though imo. Oh, and get another pump :jumping:

1journeyman

Sounds like you'll be fine.
Powerheads have a tendency to do this. Try tying off the power cord so that they cannot get enough slack to fall.
As mentioned, test your water.
Try taking the powerhead a part and soaking in water and vinegar. It might very well work after you clean it thoroughly.

mace

I would take the ph apart it might have sucked in some sand and clogged it. actually I would bet that is what happened. 5 bucks