Emergency!!!!!

xcali1985

My 55 Gallon just flooded my apartment!!!
My Octopus Skimmer leaked everywhere at least 10 gallons, all my cords and surge protectors are wet. I was able to hook a powerhead and the filter back up via direct wall. Got all the water up in under 3 minutes using some of bath towels. I raised the temp in the house up to 90 degrees to try to dry everything asap. Im just going to trash the surge protectors as one was smoking, my question is how long can the fish, snails, and crabs i have in now survive without anything else.

Sorry to hear. The main thing is circulation at this point. They need oxygenated water and you have a powerhead going so that is a plus. You didn't list any corals so light will be no issue. Keep an eye on the temperature since you are turning the heat up in your place. They should be fine until you get everything else plugged in again.

xcali1985

I live in an apartment im at the mercy of what they have installed, I will request one today, but dont know the chances of actually getting one. Especially since its behind the tank.
So I got all the visible water up, im almost certain theres some under the actual tank and the stand, but i cant get to it, ill just keep wiping as it seeps out the edges.
I lost some equipment, the skimmer of course, a timer, and the 2 surge protectors. Ive replace the surge protectors with a better brand. The Wet/Dry is back working and i was even able to work on the overflow noise while it was all taken apart.
I guess the bright side of it all was a 10 gallon water change that I actual had already premixed for later today.
The worst part hasn't happened yet, im waiting to hear from the neighbors downstairs.
Crazy thing is my shrimp seemed to love all the activity, hes now out and about the tank, hes been hiding the last 2 days.

small triggers

next time, dont lay your surge protectors on the floor. Plug them in to the outlet, and put a nail about a foot to the right or left and hang the on the wall. make sure there is a loop in all cords plugged into the surge and the surge has a loop when plugged into the wall.
ALSO you can get a surge protector that has a GFCI built in. You right, your apartments arent going to be able to put one in BEHIND your tank unless you wanna move your tank.
And personally, i would go downstairs later this morning and let them know if they have any problems that you will take care of it. On top of all this, do you have permission to have a tank in the first place? If not, and it does cause damage to the unit downstairs, they could tell you to get rid of it. (just a heads up)

flower

In a rental a GFCI isn't possible without permission to run new electric...so I used velcro to attach the power cords to the inside of the cabinet. At least they were off the floor. I also had a flood, but from a tube coming apart from my filter, but no dammage or loss. I had purgo floors, that helped allot.
In my new place, the landlord gave permission, so I had 16 GFCI outlets put in on their own breaker. I will be using every one of them on the tank when I get a chiller.

spanko

Just a reminder to all, all electric chords should have a drip loop. This is a loop somewhere between the electric unit and the wall outlet. If water happens to run down the chord the lowest part of the chord will be below the outlet and will allow the water to drip off the chord before reaching the outlet. Just thought this would be a good thread to remind everyone. Also GFIC protection is a must, let me repeat MUST for our aquariums. It is easy to replace and existing outlet with a GFIC outlet.

xcali1985

I have renters insurance, they know about the tank, i called them and left them a message concerning the flood. As for the surge protectors they are mounted now. The newer ones i have came with screws and everything. I also bought a can of compressed air which helped me push some water from under the tank.
As for the neighbors i doubt that there was any leakage or if so minimal, the maintence guy will be coming soon to look at the walls.

blenny

Im sorry that happened to you ,Yes, That could have been worse. I wanted to share with you if you havent read it at the top of the forum that was very helpful to me and i took the advice because you never know .
Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2974002

At about 4am my smoke alarm started to beep. After checking and feeling secure it was only the low battery warning I went back to sleep (pillow over head).
I started to think of all the electrical items we have associated with our tanks. If there were to be an electrical fire would I be ready. Probable not. Murphy’s law would insure that it would happen in the middle of the night. Half asleep I would have to hunt for a fire extinguisher. It’s off to Home depot today for a small fire extinguisher placed in an inconspicuous place near my tank. Just food for thought my fellow hobbyists
I now have one in my house

jordan3548

I wouldnt turn the AC to 90 that can probably cause alot of mold issues I would open the windows and let it air dry

casper1875

I just went through this with my 75g last month. Try to get a large fan and put it where it will blow over the area. I lost about 35g out of my tank. The mag pump slipped off of the protien skimmer and shot water every where. It then hit my outlets and thank God, the breaker shut off or I would have lost everything. Nothing died for me. Good Luck.

scsinet

Originally Posted by volitan1
http:///forum/post/3071429
What is a GFCI?
A GFI is a ground fault interrupter. Without getting too technical, it detects ground fault issues that are small enough to cause serious hazards, but not large enough to trip the circuit breaker.
In the instance quoted here, there is no guarantee that a GFCI would have helped. GFCIs are people protectors, not property protectors. They are designed to mitigate the shock risk to people that is elevated when people are working with water and electricity, such as outside, in a bathroom, kitchen, basement, etc.
That said, there is also no guarantee that a GFI would not have helped either. I wouldn't run a tank without this protection, but I'd do so for the protection of me. My point is that drip loops and careful placement of equipment is far more effective than a GFI at property protection, but that doesn't diminish the argument that one should be on every tank.

salt210

get a high flow fan and place it facing the carpet that is wet. I used to live in a 3rd floor apartment and I had a 50g tub fall over(long story) and the management made me have carpet cleaners come out and that is what they did. and only a little water dripped to the downstairs apartment