Emo sailfin tang

ci11337

today i found my sailfin tang with his dorsal stuck in my pump. Horrified i unpluged the pump and he just swam away. Afterward he was doing fine. He even ate nori out of my hand minutes later. He didnt seem weak at all. This dosent make any sense to me but i'm glad he was OK. The only damage is a tiny bit on the tip of his fin. I assume since he lost the photo contest he thinks hes ugly and tried to hurt himself.
Seriously, i just thought id share.

dogstar

You should put a sponge or something on the intake to protect that it does not happen again......glad its OK " this time ".

sepulatian

Originally Posted by zeke92
doesn't sound like a fake post to me. that last post was a tad rude.
It wasn't ment to be rude by any means. There is a reason that I asked.

ci11337

no its not a fake post. The intake is covered with the plastic screen that came with it. I think there may be something wrong with him even though hes acting OK. Ill post pics of his fin and the pump in a sec.

ci11337

not the greatest but you get the idea the pic makes the fin damage look worse than it is cuz his fins are folded down

tarball

Doesn't sound good to me. A healthy sailfin should have plenty of strength to keep himself free of the intake of a power head.
May need to check the water conditions & turn the powerhead off for the night. If the sailfin gets caught again during the night, probable will not make it till tomorrow morning.
The fish has to be weak for some reason.

stdreb27

Fins seem to grow back pretty fast, I had my sailfin get a slice up his fin, and it was better in a couple of days. And my velvet got beat up he lost about half his tail, after I put a flame angel in there, and a week later you can't tell.

ci11337

this morning i woke up and couldn't find him i fed the tank and he never showed. Later when i got home he still wasn't there and i couldn't even find a body. I assume for some reason he was weak even though he acted normal and accidentaly swam into my flower anemone( which usualy is harmless) and couldn't escape.

tarball

Sorry for your loss, I know how you feel. I lost a sailfin to the intake of a canister filter.
I waited about a month then bought a new sailfin. Its doing great & is as happy as could be.

T

tizzo

Sorry for your loss, if it is indeed lost. I was gonna post to say what tarball said, healthy fish don't get stuck on the ph's, and also to point out that I love the title of the thread. I never heard anyone use that term except my son when I constantly ask him, "What are those people called again".
Anyway, I thought the title was funny!

sepulatian

I am sorry as well. A Maxi 900 would not have sucked a healthy sailfin in. What is your tank size? I run a Maxi 900 and a Maxi 1200 in my 55 with a fuzzy dwarf lion that is all of an inch and a half. I had to move the 1200 toward the top when I first put him into the display because it was a little strong for him but he has since gotten used to it and it is back into position around my rocks.