Emperor 400 -1/2 Filter, 1/2 Refugium?

yearofthenick

As you guys know, the Marineland Emperor 400 has two large chambers on either side of the pump, each with one bio wheel and a filter pad/carbon. it has a rating of 80 gallons. I've got a 20g High.
WHAT IF I removed the filter media from one of the two chambers and placed some chaeto and a small light on it? Do you think it would work? Would I have to put some kind of filter pad before it hits the chaeto so it keeps the chunks and other goodies from clogging up the chaeto? Or is that good for it?
Thoughts? Help?

aquaknight

One of the things could be without the filter media in there, the water just sort of skims along the top, and out the biowheel, IIRC. I have an Emp. 400 on my QT w/just the biowheel. The other thing could be flow, mine puts out a good bit, not total volume just that it 'dumps' down into the tank, sandstorms could be a problem. Maybe since it's a 20high it would be alright?
I wouldn't worry about the chaeto clogging. Once it gets large enough that it can't tumble anymore, it would need turned manually/trimmed and it will be cleaned at that point. Bit of small stuff wouldn't be terrible for the pods. Anything too large won't make it past the grate on the intake tube anyway.