Emperor 400 Filter Problem, help!

eskimo44

I just got my filter set up and it is not sucking water from the aquarium, i have about 3 inches from top filled of space. I still have to add 40ldb of live sand and 70 lbs of live rock. Has anyone else had this propblem. It is making a mechanical noise, and when i fill the filter full of water, it will run over the bio-wheels, but will not replentish with water.

woodymdt

There is a grey pullout tab on the top back part of the Emporer. Make sure that is pulled out three stages. You'll hear two clicks when you pull it straight up. That should increase your water flow.
If that's not it, make sure something hasn't clogged your intake tube

arkey.d

There are black dials on both sides of the Emperor 400 that when turned will increase the water flow over the biowheels. They get turned counter clockwise to increase the flow I believe.
That and the Grey lever in the middle to pull up on are the only flow adjustments there are on the filter. If it still doesn't work check to make sure the intake tube is connected right.

woodymdt

Arkey? You're running your bio wheels, yes?
Any problems? I'm getting a lot of suggestions to remove them...I've made another thread and posted in my anthology thread..hehe.
Take a look when you get the chance, I'd like to hear your opinions.
Also, what do you think about an AC500 mini fuge?

eskimo44

I am not having problems with the flow, the pump will pump the water out of the filter into my tank. I am not getting any inflow to my filter from the tank. I made sure the tube was connected, i made sure the propellor was free to move, and saw it moving.Any other suggestions?

arkey.d

Originally posted by eskimo44
I am not having problems with the flow, the pump will pump the water out of the filter into my tank. I am not getting any inflow to my filter from the tank. I made sure the tube was connected, i made sure the propellor was free to move, and saw it moving.Any other suggestions?

If the intake tube is connected right and it pumps the water out of the filter, I don't know anything else that could be wrong. Might want to take it back to the store and exchange it for a new one.............

arkey.d

Originally posted by woodymdt
Arkey? You're running your bio wheels, yes?
Any problems? I'm getting a lot of suggestions to remove them...I've made another thread and posted in my anthology thread..hehe.
Take a look when you get the chance, I'd like to hear your opinions.
Also, what do you think about an AC500 mini fuge?

Any type of fuge is always recommended, I wish I had the room for one on my 55gal. As far as the Biowheels , yes it's a continueing debate about taking them out because they eventually become nitrate factories. Well, until I have a nitrate proplem i'll be keeping mine in at least for now...

dmc888

I had the same problem. I tried everything.
I'm pretty sure it was the impellor. It became noisy. I could hear its rubbing against something.
Exchange it for a new one if you can. You can also buy a new impellor too.

zenway9

the only complaint i have about my emporer 400 is that when the water filters back out into the tank, the splashing sound is LOUD! i feel like i have niagra falls in my living room, lol. i even filled my tank all the way to the top.

cowfishrule

Originally posted by eskimo44

your sucking in air...check the intake for cracks

michelle l

I would return it if you can. I bought one online a couple of months ago, and it was defective. It wasn't doing what you describe exactly, but the only difference was that the filter I bought wasn't sucking up enough water, and what water it was sucking up was somehow escaping all over the floor...it was coming from somewhere by the uptake tube. I could find no cracks or breaks anywhere. But like yours, it wasn't getting enough water to begin with.
I called the vendor, and they asked me to return it. They sent a new one and it works fine, although it is still sluggish to get going when you first start it.

dmc888

Strange i remember my old 400 use to make tons of splashing noise .
My new one is pretty quiet. Maybe they made some modifications to the filter .
I seen they changed the covers on the smaller filters. Probably because of the salt creep issue with the windows.
Which is pretty annoying with the 400. Have to clean it every other day.

funkyman

Hey Zenway, I've got an E400, and I can sympathize with you. My tank sounds just like you describe. My tank's in our bedroom though.
DOH !!

jgterrywv

Did you fill the filter with water? I usually have to prime the pump after I have removed it for cleaning. Just scoop some water out of the tank and dump it in the filter. Keep adding water until the water you are adding actually starts spinning the Bio-wheels. It should pick-up then.