emperor 400

firedad720

i'm really new to this, but here goes.my lfs has a 75g. tank (for display) he has no substrate & only 2 emperor 400's for filters. he has alot of lr in the tank. can i do the same for my 75g but with lr & ls? his setup and fish look great.
i was in process of setting up when my wife became pregnant. so you can guess where most of my $$$ is going now
will the two emperor's do the trick?
this is a great board.

carrie1429

There has been different debates on what the best kind of filteration is but I think those filters will work fine. Thats what I have on my tanks along with LR and LS and my tanks have been doing great. It really helps if you have a lot of LR and LS for the biological filteration.
BTW welcome to the board :)

firedad720

any opinions against this? any ideas that may work better?
i'm trying to plain befor i proceed any further.
thanks again rick (from oklahoma)

N

newreefers

can't say anything against them, my first one finally died after about 5 yrs, and I immediately bought another one. :)

broomer5

Selecting, buying and using equipment in this hobby is always a personal decision.
Everything we buy - has an upside and a downside.
I've never used the Emperor 400 - I'm not a big fan of Bio-Wheels.
Plus as Carrie mentioned - having a lot of live rock and live sand will certainly give you enough biological filtration ~ providing you stock the tank accordingly and keep your load down.
Most hang on the back power filters do allow some mechancial filtration though - which is nice to have. These filters need to be maintained and kept clean.
Personally - on a 75 gallon tank - I would take the $80 to $100 bucks - and put the money towards a sump/returnpump/overflow.
Get's your heater and some of your equipment out of view, adds some more water volume to the tankwater system, pulls water from the display tank surface, a great place to do water changes and dose additives and allows you more flexibility on future equipment additions.
Couple of powerheads and you're ready to rock !
One overflow hanging on the back - instead of two bio-wheel filters. With a lot of live rock and a sandbed - I'm not sure how much more biological filtration may be necessary.
Of course - this is my opinion - and what I would prefer to do.
But .... yes they will work if maintained. They are simple to use, do move water past bacteria/filtermedia, add water circulation to the tank ... and if this is your approach - you'll be fine.

gregzbobo

Hey firedad, Aquarium Concepts right? Good store. Live rock that he has isn't the best that I have seen, but he has some good fish. You might go check out Crystal Clear Aquatics in Norman, BEAUTIFUL live rock, and its 6.50 a pound I think. They also have live sand for reasonable price.

firedad720

GREGZBOBO,
YOUR ARE RIGHT. I'VE BEEN TO CRYSTAL CLEAR AQUATICS SEVERAL TIMES (LIVE IN NORMAN). SEEMS LIKE THEY KNOW THIER BUSINESS. THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INFO.

bbreaux1

i use one on my 55gal and havent had any troubles. just ever couple of weeks clean off the filter pads cause they get pretty dirty. i also used live sand and just some base rock since its about third the cost of live and bacteria will grow on that too and now there almost covered with coraline algae after almost a year and its growing fast so in a few more months hopfully it will be fully covered