Emperor Angel

O

osufarker

I recently purchased a small adult Emperor. It is around 5-6" and fully changed. I was wondering if anyone has any advice to keeping this fish. I did not want a juvenile since they don't always fully change in an aquarium.
Feeding is not a problem, it eats mysis, spectrum pellets, formula 2 flake, and ocean nutrition angel formula. I soak food in garlic, selcon, and zoe. Anything else I should be feeding it?
Any advice would be appreciated.

O

osufarker

Originally posted by guineawhop
try nori aka seaweed on a clip once a day. and add trace minerals to help from having the colors change

I have tried nori, but it doesn't want take to it just yet. I will keep trying.
What trace minerals are you referring to? Spectrum pellets are supposed to be great for color and I have had first hand experience with this in my clown tang. I highly recommend them. I think that should keep his color bright, but I am open to other possibilities for sure.

guineawhop

well sometimes an angel will be reluctant to eat nori, what i would suggest is putting it where he likes to hide or where he normally is in the tank, but keep it in there...remember to change it though because it will rot and mess with your parameters. another thing you could do, i don't know how big your tank is, but you could add a fish that loves nori such as a tang, and they will learn from that and eat it along with the tang.this doesnt' mean you have to keep the other fish. you could always get rid of it after your angel starts to eat the nori. also trace minerals come in a bottle. it's called trace minerals. i use the one made by red sea but there are others out there

O

osufarker

Right now it is in a 55 as a pseudo quarantine. I want to to give the 240 some more time to mature before I put him in there. The 55 has been setup for awhile and the only other fish in there is a small (3") clown tang. The clown tang eats the nori all day long so hopefully the emperor will take notice.
Although the clown tang is small it is a great fish and its colors are so bright. It is one awesome looking tank with 2 of the most colorful fish you can have. I can't wait for the 240 to mature to give these guys room to roam.

guineawhop

since you have the tang in there it should be a matter of time before he gets interested...i mean i got a queen angel that eats it viciously. sometimes he doesn't even wait for me to stick it to the wall before tearing it up and i have him in with a few other fish and the least likely fish in the tank is now eating nori, my blue 2 inch damsel.

O

osufarker

Yeah my queen angel loves the stuff. I can't even clip it the the tank because the queen is so powerful that it rips it right out. I have to hold it by hand and let the queen get her fill.

O

osufarker

I have 3 saltwater tanks going now a 125, 90, and 55. The 240 is in the cycling stage and will be setup soon.
Don't have a digital camera so I don't post pictures very often, just borrow one every once and awhile.

scubadoo

he'll do better in the 240 once the tank is 6 months old or older. He also likes plenty live rock to graze on and feel comfy.
I would move him from the 55 to one of your bigger tanks once he is through QT. Preferably the 125. The 55 is too small for an adult emperor to survive for any long period of time...longer than a few weeks.
You could place him in the 240 once it is cycled...but I would estimate chance of survivng in a young tank less than 6 months old at 25-30%.
Try some seaweed selects too. Mine tears it up. Also, try and supplement with marcoalgae from you fuge if you have one.
Be sure to keep an eye on your nitrates. Emperors require steady and good water quality. If you see fading spots it could be fright spots from stress and/or disease. Do not ignore this should it be present for an extended period.
Best of luck