emperor angel

fishhead81

I've read the emperor angel "needs" a 100g home to live in. I have a 55g with about 75 lbs of LR with 2 false perc clowns. Will an emperor be a waste of money or is there a good chance for an emperor to do well in your opinion? thanks all!
Oh and I'd get the smallest one possible once i was in the market for one. :happyfish

denny80689

The emperor is a difficult fish to keep from what I have heard. I have been wanting one as well. The 55 would be too small once the fish became an adult. they can grow pretty big. I would avoid it unless you plan to upgrade to a larger tank in the near future.

nicetry

A 55 is not suitable for one of these fish long term. A small juvenile would be "okay" for perhaps a year or two. Not terribly fast growing but even a 100 is small for an adult. Figure a tank in the vicinity of 180 minimum for an adult, which will grow to well over a foot if well cared for, including lots of space. If you don't plan to upgrade, I'd pass on this magnificent fish and look at one of the centropyge angels that you can keep/enjoy for the duration.

guineawhop

if this 55 is a new tank you want to wait 6 months to a year before adding one. you also have to have perfect water to keep one of these guys as they are very sensitive to the water parameter changes. as far as the size goes, a 55 would be ok for a little while as long as you had a juvy. also you don't want to get the smallest one possible either. you want one that is at least 3 inches otherwise they have a small rate of success if too big or too small when bought. i would not plan on getting one if you do not plan on getting a bigger tank imo.

scubadoo

A 55 simply is inadequate to house this angel long-term. Even if you purchase a medium...it still may be stressed due to cramped quarters. A very terrritorial animal that could create havoc in such a small system. If you have an appropriate set-up...size, liver rock, etc....they are not difficult to keep provided your system is well maintained.
They can be very aggressive. here is a pic of mine....and he rules the roost....

S

shark bait

Not the hardest to keep, but will comand the tank, often people say last fish in for this guy. But even in a 100g it might not be cool. Dont risk it, sorry but I dont even have this bad boy in my 100g, just not enough room with the live rock for a guy that size. Awsome though, will be a awsome addition to my 210 in the new home, sooooon

thangbom

hum.. a emp in a 55 is kinda hard.. not saying it cant be done.. but mines grow a lil over 1 inch a year..(well so far.. i only had one for about 15 months) and yeah he grew some.. heck a lot some.. cuzz it's noticable.. anyhow.. i say if u where to get a upgrade with in a year.. then u can go for it..
but any longer that that is a def no go...
dont get one unless your tank is at least 6 months old.. so your water/sand/rock is stable...ka mature (as in your tank dont really fluctuate much wherther it's nitrate/phosphte/ect... and to get pass diatom and cyano blooms)
as for up-keep on him... i say she's like any other fish.. just dont do anything to drastic like i did..( heh.. i felt lazy and dint mix salt a few hours earlier.. dicided to just dump in the ro/di water and then scoop water into the main.... :scared: :scared: ) anyhow.. she got all blotchy like and i had to qt her in a 40 gal rubbermaid with some maricyn2 (spelling?) for 3 weeks.. then reintroduces her back in.. she's perdy tuff of a fish but i kinda pushed her..
water change is a must.. at least 40% every month and thats about it..

yupi1982

THE ANSWER IS NOP........THEY NEED AT LEAST 125 GALLON TO SWIM AROUND
THE WILL RULE THE WHOLE TANK ..
BEST FISH EVER :happy:
HERE IS WILLY!!!

S

shark bait

well their you go. I did not want to come out and say it but No looks like the general anwser. Go big!!! and you can do it.

fishhead81

Originally Posted by shark bait
well their you go. I did not want to come out and say it but No looks like the general anwser. Go big!!! and you can do it.

Thanks all. I'll be graduating with a bach. degree in about a year and a half so....I'll prolly upgrade to somethin about a 200 then.....just more motivation for me to finish school.