Emperor fish

rabbit

I have a reef tank set up and I'm wondering if it would be ok to put an Emperor Angel in the tank. Would be better to put an juvenile or Adult. Any info will help... Thanks :thinking:

urodude

I'm pretty sure the emperor is not considered a "reef-safe" angelfish. The pygmy sized angels are better choices- flame-back, flame, bicolor, etc

boalgf

The Emperpr angels are not reef safe. i've got one and he nips at everything. I've fed ghost shrimp to my puffers and triggers before and he happily eats them as well, so they can't be completely trusted around inverts.
If you did get one (assuming your tank is big enough) you should get a juvi. They will adapt better to life in a reef and if you have shrimp, they will probably be too small to eat them. How big is your tank?

rabbit

I have a 150 gal reef set up at want to put a good-sized fish in their. I have two percs and a damsel, with live rock, numerous corals, three cleaner shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, feather duster, hermits.....Any suggestions on getting a big fish that is reef safe???

boalgf

Go with a tang or butterfly. Tangs are very impressive in reefs and are safe with coral and inverts. Blue tangs and yellows have great coloration and look well together.
Your tank is 5' right? Not the best for a full grown tang or angel but it would work for a very long time.

S

surfinusa

it wont work because they nip at stony corals and i dont know but i think they will rip up soft corals

S

surfinusa

oh yeah i got a suggestion a vlamingi tang those are cool

boalgf

Originally Posted by surfinusa
oh yeah i got a suggestion a vlamingi tang those are cool
Not a good suggestion. Vlamingi tangs get too large for all but 500 gallon+ tank.