Emperor Shrimp Information (help Ophiura or critter people)

55galgill

Hey everyone,
Im planing on making a purchase soon and i wanted some information on kind of a rare shrimp. I have seen this shrimp on sale at that famous Dr's place and I couldnt find much info on him. I'm hoping someone out there knows some info on this speicies. About the only thing i found was that they have a "commensal" relationship with sea cukes. Im hoping that its not the type of relationship that harliquins have with echinoderms if you follow my drift. I have a black sea cuke in my tank for over three years, he's fat, he's healthy, and if i could get a symbiotic relationship with the shrimp and the cuke then this would rock. any info helps

thanks in advance
Gill

ophiura

Hi, well the shrimp is Periclimenes imperator and it is sometimes found in association with nudibranchs as well. I don't know a lot about it, but I believe it is a true commensal, basically seeking protection on animals that have defenses from being eaten (eg nudibranchs and cukes both have toxins or other means of defense). I do not believe it is a parasitism where the shrimp would harm the cuke. All references are purely to commensalism (which is a type of relationship where one animal benefits and the other is unharmed).
I didn't find much on diets however. I suspect also that if it doesn't take to that cuke it may not survive long, but I don't know for sure.

candycane

Hi,
These shrimp will usually "host" a cucumber for protection without really doing anything. I have seen several of them doing this.

55galgill

Thanks ophiura & others. the Dr's place actually has it listed as easy to take care of. I know this really means nothing, manderins are easy to take care of if you have a billion pods
i think im going to give it a go. I have not seen a shrimp that will pass up a meaty treat of some sort (except for harliquins). I'll
let you guys know how it goes