Emperor vs. small sump

kneescar

:help:
I just picked up a 75 g. hex tank made by Clarity Plus.
It looks very nice, and it came with a sump arrangement that hangs on the back. The system was used and came with lots of pieces and parts. I set the sump up on my mixing tank to try to figure out how it's supposed to work. The sump has and overflow box and two siphon tubes. I placed a small pump in the first chamber and hooked it up to a spray bar to spray over the filter area. (Apologies for no pictures) In the third chamber there's a return pump. The overall volume of this contraption is only about 2 gallons when it's running. The wet / dry area is narrow enough that I would have to use that ceramic cylinder media instead of BioBalls.
My question is this:
This arrangement seems like a lot of trouble for limited filtration and there's no room in the sump to add a protein skimmer. :notsure: Ok here's the real question... Would I be better off with an emperor 400 filter?

The advantage of this system is the overflow and the fact that I would have surface skimming, but with it's small size, comlexity, and questionable filtration (3 eggcrate shelves for pads and media) I'm wondering if it will do me any good.
The whole purpose for this tank is for a dwarf lionfish and some kind of puffer.
and maybe a dragon wrasse
and maybe a snowflake
Ultimately I want to get a Marineland Tidepool2 wet/dry sump, but cost prohibits it now.
Thanks for suggestions.

aquapro_1

I chose the 400 over a sump. I added Bak Pak Dual Pak. It's a protien skimmer and a lg biofilter. Easy to hook up. I empty the cups every night/ 2 days. It's been excellent. My numbers are steady. I like predictabilty.
The sump was loud and needed too much...junk. My small fish kept getting stuck in the reserve basket!!! I could not adjust the box. Needless to say, it got returned. Never had 1 problem with my current & on going system.

kneescar

Thanks for the input.
Sump recommended even if it's only a two gallon sump?
Another in the pro collumn: I already have this mini sump, so I wouldn't have to spend anything.
Oh. one more in the plus collumn for the sump... An Emperor 400 will not fit (measured one yesterday.) would have to stick with a penguin 330 or the smaller Emperor

Discuss please