Empty shells from SWF.com?

angelap

I just received my order for 100 empty shells from SFW.com. I was just wondering if anyone else has bought any? They really, really stink. They smell like dead fish. Is this normal? I scared to put them in my tank. What should I do?
Thanks,
Angela

scotts

Yes they stink. Wait it gets better. You need to boil them for I think 5 minutes. There should be a seet that came with your shipment that tells how long.
You think they stink now. Wait until you boil them. Open the windows.
Scott

lesleybird

Hi,
I buy my shells at the local hobby store here in Houston. They don't smell when you buy them, and are very cheap.
Lesley

angelap

It's funny to me to watch them go through the process of changing shells. It takes them forever to decide what new "house" fits them just right! The shells I got were really pretty, just really smelly! I'm gonna try boiling them tonight. I bet they will be so happy to try out their new homes! ;)

mvogel2

i didn't get a sheet telling me to boil mine...i just gave them a good rinsing, nothing was hurt... if i remember correctly some looked llike they had dead crabs in them....
my lfs sells nice shells, but they are about .75 each , swf is much better.
matt

mishka

We have a shell store down the street. Some of our crabs chose shells that are so big it is funny. We call them crab mansions!! And it's great to see a huge shell halfway up a rock.

tlk

Originally posted by mishka
We have a shell store down the street. Some of our crabs chose shells that are so big it is funny. We call them crab mansions!! And it's great to see a huge shell halfway up a rock.

He who dies with the biggest shell wins...right!?

angelap

Well I put my new shells in last night. You should have see those crab going for those shells! Very cool to watch!
:)

dopey33

Originally posted by Bluetangclan
I think I have heard you can go to a crafts store like Michael's and they have shells for sale there too and they prolly dont stink.

Can you realy use those...arent they plastic hobby shells?

dopey33

really! i always thought those were fake.
What about shells youd find on the beach?
My family has a private beach on Lake Michigan and i've been collecting small shells there for years...if i boil them can they be used?