Eneybody here have a ribbon eel?

grouperhead

dont get one. 99.99% of them wont eat and die in captivity. they just wont eat and will slowly wither away. if you want an eel, get a snowflake, chainlink, or another smller species like a golden tail. bo

guppie

I agree with grouperhead stay away form ribbon eel. I had two friends try none lasted. I have never heard of anyone getting one to eat , let alone live for any period of time. IMO snowflakes are the way to go. Good Luck

lionfish

LionFish says......
Nah, these aren't the fish you want to deal with. Too hard to keep and they need a larger tank than you have. Usually a 100 gallon will suit one of them. They tend to be such fickle eaters that they usually perish within a week. And like grouper said, about 99% of them die. I really don't know why people even try to keep them. Some people get extremely lucky but the majority of them die and then you lose $60 or more. Not worth risking that kind of money on a fish that has an even lower rate of survival than a Mandarin. I also recommend the snowflake.
[ August 25, 2001: Message edited by: LionFish ]

pufferlover

Yes I agree being the owner of 2 snowflakes and a current addition of a golden tail eel I have become a eel lover as well as a Pufferlover. All 3 are in different tanks but do very well eat well and are a delight. The 2 snows were 20 a piece and the golden cost me 80 (but was worth every penny- it is more outgoing then the snowflakes swims around pops out here and there and eats like there is no tomorrow).

grouperhead

puffer, how big is your goledentail? i almost got one, but i couldnt shell out 85 bucks. they are indeed a beautiful fish. also, how big is yours? is he in the tank with the big porks? do you know how big they get in comparison to a snowflake. i have a 38 that is up and running with nothing in it, and i was thinking i might get another snowflake because i love mine so much. what would you say on this. the dimensions of the tank are 36"x20"x12". he would be the only thing in there. bo

pufferlover

Grouper; Mine is about 12 to 15 inches and is in my 135. This is first fish I have added to that tank in 4 years (I did it with much reservation). The other fish followed it around for a few minutes but then left it alone and do not go near it at all (including the clown trigger who was my main worry. They get to about the same size as snows do. They are sold as Golden Tail Moray eels and are as you noted costly due to being a bit hard to find. I got lucky was at lfs and happened to look in large live rock tank he has and there was this eel cruising back and forth like a snake. Owner told me he had it in one of his 40's but then got in a green moray and when he put it in same tank Golden almost left tank so he moved it to the big live rock tank. I went back next day and it took him close to a half hour to catch it with all the rock in the tank (the guy is not a deep thinker is he). He wanted 90 but gave it to me for 80 as he said he thought he might get stuck with it at that price for a long time (and then who came along me). Most books state a 30 or larger for a snow so I think you would be fine. I never wanted a eel my son kept saying get one and I would say why who needs them. Now I have 3 and adore them all.

grouperhead

thanks for the info puffer. i as well as you just fell in love with eels. i love my snowflake so much. im also assuming that the goldentail will try to escape (like most eels) if there are any cracks or openings. has yours been feeding well? bo

pufferlover

That sucker is a born eater. I tried feeding it just after it went in tank (actually started feeding the others to get their mind off it- but decided to try with my feeding stick to do the eel to). It took the food first try and has not missed a meal since. The minute the lid opens its head and neck pops out from either its home under a large rock on the left side or a group of rocks on the right side and it sways back and forth like a cobra till I give it some food. It has eaten frozen Krill, frozen silversides. My snows also eat the same (the baby one gets baby siversides the other 2 big ones they just gulp down) which I alternate each day. I have no luck getting them to eat squid tho altho the books say that to them is a delicacy (they must not know that fact). The Golden is out way more as I said above even when in its home area it is sticking out about 5 to 6 inches and doing its little sway dance looking very nasty mouth opening and closing. If it stayed hidden as the others I would have been unhappy with what I paid for it but since it is more outgoing I feel it was a good investment. I would love to move one into the Pork tank but I am afraid being long and slender the Porks would think it was a special meal for them, and their mouths are big enough to do some damage to any of the 3 at this time. Maybe down the road for the larger snow which is getting fat (harder to swallow for the Porks me thinks).

fugu

i recieved my blue ribbon eel by mistake (posted earlier) i have had it for just over three months and it is fine. although i have not seen it eat, a number of things have gone missing! such as cleaner shrimp and one small daqmsel.
in my opinion the eel has been feeding on these items.
but as beautiful as they are i would never recomend one, go with the snowflake would be my advice.

howlnsound

I agree, snowflakes are much easier! however i have a ghost ribbon who is doing very well for over a year and eating frozen krill and silversides i found they are much easier then blue or black but are much harder to find. however, there is nothing like them!