Enheim Cannister Filters

dizzy

I have heard many good things about the Enheim Cannister Filters (very bad things about Fluval). What is everyone's opinion on that? (the 2213 is what I am planning on buying).
TIA
Diz

A

alti

ive got a 2213 on a freshwater setup. what size tank are you going to use it on? the 2213 only pumps about 100 gph, which seems too low for anything bigger than a 10 or maybe 20 gal. i have a 2227 wet dry canister that i use on my 30 gal and it works great. dont waste your money on the model that comes with the filter media. if you use the media it will do nothing but produce nitrates. i got the 2227 used on ---- for 80 bucks.

dizzy

My tank is only 29 gallons, so the 2227 might be overkill for me.
I was reading that adding the substrates will act as a biological filter, which I need right now since I am not running an over the back filter either.
Do you think I should go a little higher on the model number then?
Like the 2222?
Thanks
Diz

A

alti

is there anything in the tank now? and is it going to be a reef or fish only?if you have enough live rock you wont need any other bio filtration. it is a pain in the butt to have to keep opening the canister filter to clean out the media every couple of weeks. all kind of crap gets sucked into the canister and will get stuck in the media and rot. also , everytime you stop the filter to clean it, it spews out all the gunk in the tubes when you turn it back on.

dizzy

Detrius coming out with my over the back was a problem too during cleaning. If I have to do less work, that is always a good thing. I just want to make sure that the cannister filter I buy is the correct size.
Right now I have live rock, fish, and inverts...no corals.
How do you clean yours? Since you don't have to add any substrates?
Diz

dizzy

Sorry, but I should have given more info.
29-gal
Tank running for 1-year
Prizm Protein Skimmer
35-lbs LR
Used to have a biowheel, but too much maintenance, that is why I wanted to switch to a cannister filter.
I am now looking at Enheim 2222 and have found a place that sells it at 119.99.
Diz

A

alti

diz,
i really dont have to clean the filter. i open it up every couple of months and just rinse out the sand that collects at the bottom of the canister. all the filter really does is act as a big powerhead and serves as a place to put carbon if necessary. i like the 2227 wet/dry because it is somewhat like a wavemaker. it pumps hard for about 2 minutes and then pumps slower for about 30 seconds until the canister fills up again. the 2227 moves enough water in my 30 gal so i dont have to have any powerheads in the tank. id rather have the green spraybar across the top than a bulky powerhead . thye spraybar eventually gets covered in coraline anyway. these filters are very expensive. if i were you id check on ---- for a used one.

dizzy

The place I am looking to purchase doesn't even have that 2227, so it must be pricey. They have the 2224 selling for $139.99.
I will definitely look into it though. Currently, I have 3 power heads going with my PS. I have a lot of current in there, but if I could remove them, it sure would save a lot of space and cleaning.
I went diving in Thailand last week and seeing them in the Ocean sure is a lot cheaper than keeping them at home.
Later-
Diz