Enough Light for BTA?

hops523

My 55 gallon tank is currently cycling. Eventually I will be adding a BTA and I just want to make sure the lights I'm getting will be enough for it. I will be getting the T5 Tek 36" 8x39 watt fixture. Would a BTA be ok with these lights? And while I'm asking, how do you think some sps coral would do under these? The tank is 36" long, 18" wide, and 21 or 22" tall.
Thanks

cajonez

Should be good for the BTA, not sure about the SPS. Is your 55g not the standard 48" size? If it is, why are you planning to only get a 36" light?

hops523

No it's not the standard 55 gallon. It's an oceanic 55 which are the dimensions I listed above. It's a little wider and deeper. It's 36 inches long.

btldreef

Originally Posted by hops523
http:///forum/post/3204070
My 55 gallon tank is currently cycling. Eventually I will be adding a BTA and I just want to make sure the lights I'm getting will be enough for it. I will be getting the T5 Tek 36" 8x39 watt fixture. Would a BTA be ok with these lights? And while I'm asking, how do you think some sps coral would do under these? The tank is 36" long, 18" wide, and 21 or 22" tall.
Thanks
55G Breeder, nice reef tanks!

Anyways, the lighting "should" be okay for SPS, will definitely be okay for a BTA. If you try either, wait until your tank is established and you have consistent good water quality. The fluctuations that occur in a new tank will stress the anemone and the SPS.
When you venture into SPS, try a frag or two, leave in the top 1/3 of your tank, you should be okay, but see how they do. If you buy SPS that is used to a 250+watt MH, it's going to be a big adjustment for the coral to go T5's, but it can be done. NYCbob has lovely SPS under T5's, you might want to take a look at his tank.

hops523

haha no worries cajonez.
BTLDreef: thanks for the reply, I'm actually still deciding if I would like to add sps coral, I'm more of a lps kind of person, but they would make a nice addition. Oh yeah I'll definatly wait awhile before I add any. Ill add a couple fish first and see how the water does. I will definatly take a look at his tank.
Thanks