enough light for fuge

grubsnaek

i have a 55g sump on my 125DT. inside my sump i have a 25"x12" fuge. i was wondering if putting 30w 6500k lighting would be enough.

al mc

IMHO it should be for chaeto and possibly mangroves. I have an old MH light on mine so I can keep clams, but for plants alone you should be ok. I know of some who have claimed to use regular 'light bulbs' but have never done so myself.

mrextc

I was reading about lights for chateo...and i got some great advice from online. I purchased a cheap 6$ light fixture with clamp and reflector from Home Depot and am using a energy saving spiral 120watt blub(but it only uses 23 or 27 watts)...my chateo has exploded in the past two weeks! about 3x the size. I keep it on 24 hours a day, and i don't feel guilty about the wasted electricty. I would definitely try this route as it's only a 10-15$ set up. I got my bulb from Costo and it's really bright!

mrextc

yeah...100% serious...I was skeptical but after these past two weeks...forget the expensive light for chaeto! I bought 5$ worth from the LFS and now i've got a piece about 12 inch square....started off the size of two brillo pads...now its huge. Once my nitrates are under control, i'll trade it to others. My wife is even amazed....i originally was trying to keep it in the display tank but the light was only on for 10-12 hours....didn't grow much at all over 2 weeks....give it a try, with this hobby, its a small investment!

mrextc

then dont leave it on 24/7...i don't have anything except live rock and the chateo...so it's not going to hurt anything...plus it makes my stand glow at night...so it serves as a night light as well for the living room!

mmm33732

Originally Posted by mrextc
I was reading about lights for chateo...and i got some great advice from online. I purchased a cheap 6$ light fixture with clamp and reflector from Home Depot and am using a energy saving spiral 120watt blub(but it only uses 23 or 27 watts)...my chateo has exploded in the past two weeks! about 3x the size. I keep it on 24 hours a day, and i don't feel guilty about the wasted electricty. I would definitely try this route as it's only a 10-15$ set up. I got my bulb from Costo and it's really bright!
daylight 6500k bulb or a diff temp? i'm running 100w 6500k spiral but would like to go to maybe 150w but cant find any that high in daylight (6500k). 100w is the highest i've been able to find so far.

mrextc

no idea what i have...it just say 120watts on it...it's the spirally one...looks a little yellow to me, but it's making my chaeto grow out of control...it's more exciting than my fish...:) everyfew days i look and its bigger!!! :)

mrextc

actually, i think you can find the 150 watt online somewhere....i already have my 120watt sitting around so i didn't order another one.

grubsnaek

im adding a 10g sump to my 20L frag tank so i might use the 120w spiral for that as of now i think i might go with my idea

grubsnaek

Originally Posted by mmm33732
daylight 6500k bulb or a diff temp? i'm running 100w 6500k spiral but would like to go to maybe 150w but cant find any that high in daylight (6500k). 100w is the highest i've been able to find so far.

i just went today and saved money, i bought the 100w replacement spiral bulb. 6500k only 23w and got a aluminum houseing for it. this will go on my 55g sump/fuge. i also bought a smaller wattage one for my 10g fuge(fuge is with a 20L frag tank)