Enough lighting

redxlch

:notsure: After surfing the net, reading some posts and replies. I question that we have enough lighting for what we want to have in our 60" 100g tank using the 48" coralife 4x65w aqualight.
Looking at the expensive ($599) 60" 2x175MH 2x40 flourescent Big Al has might be the ticket to keep the anemones suntanned.
<or>
should I keep my present fixture and change out two of the 65W Actinic with 65W 1000K and use the 2 x 24" fixtures we have in the closet (with 2 x 24W Actinic giving us the following:
4 x 65W 10000K
2 x 24W Actinic
Comments would be appreciated on my lighting and timer setting durations too.
Also, will our fish need sunglasses if I go with too much light? I haven't seen them for sale

T

tizzo

You said that you question yourlighting for what you want to have in the tank... What do you want to have in the tank??

T

tizzo

I would definately without a doubt have to recomend that you go with metal halides then. And I would upgrade the flourescents to VHO's. I am not sure of the depth of your tank, but my BTA climbed the glass all the way to the very top of the water line when I had 4x65w PC's. Like you, it's health was a priority, so I found a good deal on MH's.
See, the thing about your sebae's is that it isn't supposed to be white. You will need good lighting for a sebae, but for a bleached one, you will need VERY good lighting. If you spend all that $$ on PC's (like I did) you will kick yourself later, cause thats money you could have applied to the MH's.
I realize it is easier said than done.. "Yeah, just run right out and pick up some bread and MH lighting." LOL But it will be an investment you won't regret!

redxlch

Actually, the Sebae is really not white. It's the same appearance as the healthy ones iv'e seen pictures of all over the place. No doubt one of the RTBA is bleeched, got it that way and we're nursing it. Tank size is 60 x 18 x 20
$50 for two new 65W 10000k bulbs and $30 for an added antinic is not something I am going to kick myself later about. I've got the fixtures allready. I'm thinking this is a progressive step in the process for setting up a corral only tank later that the 48" lamp would fit on nicely. . Besides, IMO a chiller is going to be in order as water quality and stability is equally important to keeping healthy anemones.