kylecorson

have a standard 29 gallon tank with 2 clowns and:
gbta
kenya tree
zoos
mushrooms
frogspawn
lobo leather
question is i just upgraded my lighting through a trade an got dual 175 watt mh w/ hamilton bulbs and spider reflectors. i know that both of those lights will probably be overkill on the tank, but i was thinking about how just the one would do. any suggestions, comments?
also, it is a retro system, so i need to hang it from some sort of canopy, i've never done that before so does anybody have any suggestions on how to do that? thanks,
kyle

nissan577

only have 1 bulb in. 2 will kill it! also it will kill the corals! and it will be good to hang it 5 inches high

flower

Originally Posted by kylecorson
http:///forum/post/3089721
have a standard 29 gallon tank with 2 clowns and:
gbta
kenya tree
zoos
mushrooms
frogspawn
lobo leather
question is i just upgraded my lighting through a trade an got dual 175 watt mh w/ hamilton bulbs and spider reflectors. i know that both of those lights will probably be overkill on the tank, but i was thinking about how just the one would do. any suggestions, comments?
also, it is a retro system, so i need to hang it from some sort of canopy, i've never done that before so does anybody have any suggestions on how to do that? thanks,
kyle

I put 2 X 175 on my canopy....it s 48 inches on a 90g.
Do you have a canopy?

flower

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3089735
but dont you think 2x175 is an overkill for a 29g?

Yes it would be, but using 1 bulb should be fine if it is set up high enough. First the OP has to find a way to mount it.

kylecorson

thanks for all the great info!
yeah i thought 2 would be a bit much, ill just hang the one. i don't have a canopy, and i don't really know much about em. could i just buy one from a lfs and hang it from that?
im confused though on that because i don't think it will give enough room to hang the light 5 inches from the top of the tank?
also, would there be any limitations for this?
thanks so much, i really appreciate the help!

nissan577

having it without a canopy is good cause the tank would get air from the room to stay cool and so will the light

kylecorson

ok thats fine, im not crazy about making sure i have a canopy, i just dont know how else to hang it above the tank?
suggestions?

yup. I got some medal poles from home depot and got a pipe bender and bent them 90 degrees at the ends. Then I used chains and hung them from that. I attached it to the back of the stand I made.