enough rock?

blennyluv

here is my tank with live rock, 60 lbs. is it enough for a reef system? lots of life on here, finding more every day. 5 dusters? 2 clams and a sponge? and now i have lots of algae, brown, purple and long green grassy stuff. if i need more rock would like to get it before adding fish

mr.smiley

Originally posted by toddpolish
I'd say it's enough, but it's a personal preference if you wanted more. looks good.

blennyluv

awesome, of course, i have totally rearranged it since then!
yellow bubble looking stuff, i assume is bubble algae?

T

tizzo

Your LR is not only for appearances. It is not merely a personal preference. If you want your rock for appearances, then what you have is OK. If you want your rock to serve it's primary function of biological filtration, then you will need way more. 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon.
I have 150-160 lbs in my 90, and it's not as crowded as it sounds. Get more rock, you will be gald you did.:)

shnabbles

Tizzo do you happen to have a picture of the tank? How much Base Rock did you have in the tank to start with? or did you just put 150lbs of live rock in?

lion_crazz

The more live rock, the better. If you are doing it for looks, like stated, you are fine. If you are getting the live rock for filtration, get about 90 lbs. of live rock. In my 75, I have nearly 85 lbs. and it is not crowded. I am in the process of getting more as well. (I am not even really using it as my main filtration, just a little extra help in keeping the levels in check).

ajroc31

The way i see it, the more live rock the better. But I am posting for another reason. I am not sure, but is all that white stuff in the tank just a bad picture, or air bubbles in the water. If its the air bubbles, I strongly suggest you get rid of them.

obarrera

Originally posted by ajroc31
If its the air bubbles, I strongly suggest you get rid of them.

Why are air bubbles bad?

viper_930

The only reason I can remember is that salt will get everywhere when the bubbles pop at the surface.

T

tizzo

Originally posted by Shnabbles
Tizzo do you happen to have a picture of the tank? How much Base Rock did you have in the tank to start with? or did you just put 150lbs of live rock in?

Actually, I didn't get any base rock. I bought 100 lbs from this sight and 50 from my LFS and I aquired more because it was attached to a coral or anemone or whatever I was buying at the time. But here is a pic. It's an old pic, but the amount of LR is the same...

ajroc31

If you ever decide to go with corals air bubbles dry up the corals. Its a number one killer of plate corals. Besides from experiance, my fish hate it when the filter runs low on water, and the pump blows lots of little air bubbles to the tank. The corals seem to be annoyed by it. The torch coral which is in the way of the return flow always closes itself up when that happens.