EPCOT CENTER Calcium 750 ppm

detane

This information came about when I mistakingly peeked my calcium to 700 and noticed super growth in my 180 gallon tank. I called around and asked all the LFS in the Los Angeles area why things were growing, when I was told that levels that high would kill my corals. I then got curiouse and called up an old friend of mine who helped design a couple of things for the disney co. He got me the info I asked for with no prob. The Oceanographers there told him they keep the calcium at 750 ppm for maximum growth.
You know disney spends billions of dollars finding out what the best levels are for growth and stability. So Im keeping my levels in the 700's.

Yes I know Im going to get hell from hobbiests, but you cant argue with Oceanographers who work for Disney. lol

natclanwy

All of the research I have seen has shown coral growth to be inhibited at levels above 400ppm, but hey if it works for you go for it. What are you keeping your alk and magnesium at?

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/3054043
All of the research I have seen has shown coral growth to be inhibited at levels above 400ppm, but hey if it works for you go for it. What are you keeping your alk and magnesium at?
I dont know why growth would be inhibited with excess calcium.It would seem to me that coral would just not use more than what the need assuming params are in balance.

loopy101

I have a question and please correct me if i am wrong!!!
but with the calcium so high would that through off ballence the rest of the chemicals?? and make it a real pain in the rear to keep everything in balence?

detane

Originally Posted by loopy101
http:///forum/post/3054062
I have a question and please correct me if i am wrong!!!
but with the calcium so high would that through off ballence the rest of the chemicals?? and make it a real pain in the rear to keep everything in balence?
Thats what I thought At first, but everything seems to be growing, and the coraline is spreading also. Corals only consume the calcium they need, meaning you can have high cal levels so you dont have to dose as often.
I dont know why, I just know it works for them, and for my tank.

natclanwy

I would suspect a false reading in your calcium test unless you are keeping your alk and mag at extremely high levels as well. Since I am not a chemist I cannot tell you at what point calcium would be out of balance enough to cause it to start precipitating out of the water I would guess before 750ppm but I don't know for sure.

fishieness

nat's right. It will start percipitating at that point. It will depend what your Alk, pH, and Mag is as to weather or not your tank will be completely white or not. However, levels that high will have at least some percipitate, and will build up on pumps and in your skimmer and reduce performance of all of said pumps. Also, Ca is not the only mineral used for this processs. There are many others that limit the growth of corals. If those are lower, then it wouldn't matter how high your Ca is. Great if it works for you, but I personally would never do it.
Wondering what you keep your Alk and mag at though. And also would like to see some picture

gregarch99

Can you post some pictures of your aquarium? Do you have any from a month or two ago so we can see the change in growth?