epoxy question

U

usirchchris

Gotcha, I am unsure what would make an epoxy reef safe or not. You will find many epoxies with different specialties, but I don't know if there is a certain element you want to avoid. You won't find one at Lowe's that will say reef safe, but you may try looking one up online (a reefsafe one, I know they have them), and then going and comparing with what they have available.

katsafados

I use marinelands! Just make sure you smear a piece to the LR(making a flat surfact then smear soemt o the rock or coral yours placing on it and put them together.

stanlalee

well I've only used two, marineland holdfast and D&D epoxy. the D&D is like clay and works great OUTSIDE the tank but too much manipulating in the tank will have the whole tank cloudy grey (no harm to the inhabitants) and your skimmer will actually skim grey clay. for this reason I will not use in the tank at all. If you use it in the tank better know what your going to do and do it fast without any hang ups if you dont want temperary clay water. the holdfast stays together and is much less messy to work with in the tank. the D&D may be a little easier to shape and mold. The D&D LOOKS much better. its a dull grey and blends in fairly well. the holdfast is bright white and sticks out like a sore thumb for some time. I use it so much I can take a small amount and mount plugs with little to none of the epoxy being visably exposed so thats not even a concern for me anymore. they both hold whatever well and have no long term side effects.

coralreefer

gel super glue will. what i am asking is if theres an inexpensive type of epoxy putty i can use in my aquarium

sminker

Ive got the best of both worlds.
Go to Lowes and buy a product called AQUAMEND, then buy some Loctite SuperGlue GEL.
Mix your aquamend, put the Superglue on one side then attach it to the rock, then you put superglue on the other side that you are attaching the frag to.
works like a dream. people can put frags upside down on rockwork with that method.
you can also get some purple food coloring so that way the AQUAMEND dries purple instead of white.
AQUAMEND is dirt cheap also. $3-4

loopy101

pending on what kind of coral im working with hard corals i use JBwaterweld. had O issues with this i also bought a tube of aquamend but havent used it yet. one stick of Jb waterweld seems to go a long long way!! and for soft corals i just use super glue gel. i get the corals ready and the rock ready put a little glue on the rock and then stick the coral on it. and hold it in place for a few seconds to make sure it doesnt tip over while the glue sets then put it in the frag tank or DT