equipment classified ?

greenreefer

I too am in SC. They tried to move to an auction to get a a cut on us trading used equipment, I guess business must be really hurting, but the auction site is dead. Your best beat is either the CMAC site or the PMAC section on "the reef tank dot com" for local stuff or R _ C for national stuff.

bpn25

+1 I loved looking at all the pics of peoples corals. The auction house just is not that good. There are other sites that offer a complementary place to buy and sell livestock and equiptment without any compensation.Please bring it back, it is in your best intrest becasue I can garentee that people are leaving this forum.

spanko

Originally Posted by bpn25
http:///forum/post/2842235
......There are other sites that offer a complementary place to buy and sell livestock and equiptment without any compensation........
Are the other sites also an online store like SWF? Why do you think they should provide a forum for competing against themselves?

3m

i wonder if the traffic has fallen off since the change. seriously the classifieds brought me to the site nearly everyday.

greenreefer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2842239
Are the other sites also an online store like SWF? Why do you think they should provide a forum for competing against themselves?
seriously, almost all of the the business wasn't real competition. People buying named SPS or zoanthid frags would really spend those same dollars on a unnamed brown polyp rock or some other generic starter coral. Not that people don't buy those corals, but it's not the same pool of money. Same goes for used equipment and trading in general. Now there were a number of folks that seemed to be in the fish business recently, but I think we all would have been fine with them stopping that. I know mods will say that they have been overworked, but there is a simple answer to that, add more mods.

spanko

Your points are valid with the exception of SWF did not set up the boards to have their sales diminished, or to need more mods to police the threads to ensure no one is competing. The service provided to have the boards in the first place has some cost to it and is not something that really had to be offered.
IDK seems to me it is their site and theirs to do with what they see fit. If people are going to leave what I believe is one of the better places to come and discuss the hobby just because they cannot sell here that seems a little counterproductive to me. Go ahead and sell elsewhere but why leave a good community like we have here?
JMO

3m

not about buying and sell but also about helping other in the hobby who might not be able to afford a skimmer,light, or ro unit as well as help those who had extra stuff that wanted to get rid of it. I personally came here because the classified ads were always hopping. with the auctions the traffic is all but gone

greenreefer

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2842296
Your points are valid with the exception of SWF did not set up the boards to have their sales diminished, or to need more mods to police the threads to ensure no one is competing. The service provided to have the boards in the first place has some cost to it and is not something that really had to be offered.
IDK seems to me it is their site and theirs to do with what they see fit. If people are going to leave what I believe is one of the better places to come and discuss the hobby just because they cannot sell here that seems a little counterproductive to me. Go ahead and sell elsewhere but why leave a good community like we have here?
JMO
I loved it here and not just for the selling threads, but your kidding yourself if you think it's still a great place. Most people have left. I keep coming and posting hoping others will come back. It's sad that this place has died

nigerbang

sales diminished...hell they never have anything in stock hardly.. the auction idea is just plain stupid...not that I ever even bought anything from classified...wait....I bought a tank one time about 2 years ago..other then that it was a bunch of people selling things SWF DOESNT EVEN CARRY..say goodbuy to good deals..not its people price gouging for coral...Thats why I buy from local reefers instead...better deals...hell most the time for free