Equipment in hand, where to go from here?

dsmattice

I have just acquired a 125 gallon glass tank and stand. The filters that came with it are:
1) AMiracle SR-400 (still need to identify the pump)
2) Rena Filstar XP-3 canister filter
3) TurboTwister 12X UV/sterilizer
4) Plenum setup
I would like to set this up with a reef in mind. I currently have a 29 gal FOWLR, a 55 gal FOWLR that will get cannibalized in the process.
The tank is not drilled so everything will have to be overflow oriented. Any input on where to go from here? Let's leave lighting aside for now for budget reasons. I thought about using the 29 for a refugium....

turningtim

The 55 will serve well as a sump/fuge for that size tank. the 29 could be used but will be a little small for the tank. Or you could use both. I would do some research on the plenum set-up. JMO I would get rid of it and just go with a sand substrate.
What size OF does it have?
Read, raed and raed some more......
HTH
Tim

dsmattice

Tim, I'll be reading and reading some more thanks. The research so far on the plenum seems to be very mixed. Would it hurt to have it? I've gotta go through all of the equipment tonight to get the pump size and overflow size. If I used the 55 or both for sump/fuge, I'm guessing the wet/dry would be scrapped (no space)?
Continuing the research to avoid costly impatience...

acrylic51

Sell the Rena on the big auction site, are worthless IMO. They are a pain in the butt.......Check out the LifeReef overflows to feed the wet/dry you have, but remove the bio balls

dsmattice

acrylic51
I'm gonna move the Rena to another setup. Should I wait to remove the bio balls? I've currently got approx. 130lbs of live rock in the tank. Do I need more before I remove the balls?

turningtim

With that much LR you should be good w/o the BB's. It should have enough bio-filtration to accomidate the tank, plus added LS bed will be good.
Any news on the plenum search? More curious then anything!
HTH
Tim

dsmattice

Tim
Thanks for the advice. As far as the plenum goes, I didn't find anything negative other than "pain in the -#$ to set up". I didn't find any negatives in terms of water chemistry, etc. The setup I got was the exact design from two big aquacultured reef info sites who insist that it is a must. It wasn't that big of a pain to setup so I figured it cant hurt. I rolled the dice, followed their instructions and am very pleased with how it turned out
Only time and money will tell...
I have a bit more LR coming today, a new skimmer tomorrow and I bit the bullet and ordered my lighting coming the 15th( MH 3-175W, PC 4-65W actinics, and moonglow). Then I'll just wait for my cash to replenish and patiently start setting up the reef.
I will be looking for advice as to where to start with corals at some point
Thanks again

silleemee

I put a plenum in my tank.
I had already bought my sand and used it.
But there was better sand recommended than what I used.