essential livestock to make a reef tank sucessful

Hey guys I was just curious, I have been running f/o tanks with live rock for the past 4 years amd have enjoyed every minute of it, especially the challenges (well maybe not losing things, but the challenge of gaining a greater knowledge of this hobby). I would like to start converting to a reef tank, and I have read all about the need for good water quality, water flow, lighting, skimmers, ect... but what I was wondering is from your experience what are the essential livestock needs for your reef tank to thrive...ie. snails, crabs, ect...what do you guys consider as essential livestock members of your tank to make it reef successful?
thanks
sean

michael7979

May not be essential but a few snails, hermits, shrimp might be nice. I think they are important and great fun to watch.

robchuck

Snails, hermit crabs, and emerald crabs have always been included in my cleanup crews. I also like to have a pair of cleaner shrimp in the reef. And for me, a reef isn't complete unless it has a clown in it.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by tableforglasses
but what I was wondering is from your experience what are the essential livestock needs for your reef tank to thrive...ie. snails, crabs, ect...what do you guys consider as essential livestock members of your tank to make it reef successful?
thanks
sean

Well if it is a reef tank with a sandbed then the first thing I would think about is the health of the sandbed. ie.. pods amphopods, copopods, isopods, chitons,- Terebellidae, Cirratulids and Bristle worms, - Nassarius snails, as well as a fighting conch or two.
Warning: Stay away from infauna eating animals like...Sand sifting stars -etc....
With live rock also - Cerith and Nerite snails Astrea snails . Emerald crabs, scarlet hermits,
For reef tank in general I would keep a low bio load of fish - don't push it. A couple of scarlet cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp or two.
JMHO
Thomas

giantregal

thomas i am trying to do the same (sorry dont mean to hijack the thread)
but what is too much of a load?
i have a 125 with 120 lbs of live rock
two 3" clowns
black edge eel
10" blue hippo
i was going to add the following:
Scarlet Hermit Crab: 50
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 30
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 50
Nasssarius Snail: 10
Coral Banded Shrimp: 1
Emerald Crab: 10
Brittle Star: 3
Feather Duster: 3
Peppermint Shrimp: 5
Damsels:6
Dragon Sifter Goby: 1
Mandarin Goby: 1
candy coral:1
sun polyp:1
Striped mushroom coral:1
3”squamosa clam :1
crocea clam super grade:1
electric green carpet anemone:1
can you let me know if i am getting too much of a cleanup crew, or maybe too many fish?
i really need something to sift my sand, any ideas?
thanks
stephan

T

thomas712

Scarlet Hermit Crab: 50
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 30
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 50
Nasssarius Snail: 10
Coral Banded Shrimp: 1
Emerald Crab: 10
Brittle Star: 3 - What type of brittle stars?
Feather Duster: 3
Peppermint Shrimp: 5
candy coral:1
sun polyp:1
Striped mushroom coral:1
3”squamosa clam :1
crocea clam super grade:1
The above list is not what I would include in a fish bio load. Fish are the ones that are producing waste, many of the above mentioned will assist in the cleanup involved with that waste.
Damsels:6 - what kind?
Dragon Sifter Goby: 1 Love that fish, but he could be the subject of sand storms (if sand substrate) and can eat your sand infauna.
Mandarin Goby: Excellent fish, carnivore that eats only live pods, even those that have been trained to eat frozen foods might not live. Avoid other fish that will directly compete for food.
1electric green carpet anemone:1 I would research this one very carefully, they are fish eaters. I would hate to hear that it stung your fish that you did not want it to. Make sure you know the requirments for it.
If you were thinking of blue/green chromis for the damsels then I would say fine, good choice. Most others I would stay away from.
So 6 small damsels, a dragon goby, and a mandarin goby. Many times gobies do not get along, not sure about the Dragon(banded) goby and the mandarin but I think it would be alright.
8 more fish to add to 4 other fish/eel.
I would call that a full bio load but very possible in a 125. Thats just my opinion.
Thomas

giantregal

ok thanks alot for your help
i was unaware of the eating habits of the carpet anemone
what anemone would you recomend for my clowns?
also the brittle stars, thats SWF.coms 100+ reef cleanup package so i dont know :) have not bought it yet
as for the sandstorm, i have crushed coral sand, not the really thin sand so i think it would be ok, you think?
i may stay away from the damsels, but i wanted some more color in my tank, what fish would you recomend that are good reef fish?

beachbumtx

The thing about dragon gobies is that they are substrate sifters. Like diamond gobies, the dragon will swallow substrate and spit it out while collecting organisms from them. Cruch corals is a large substrate type and may not be suitable for dragon gobies. Reef sand and aragonite sand are better choices of substrate for a dragon goby (and diamond gobies).
About the carpet anemone, they get quite large. A bubble tip anemone may be the better choice for your clowns. However, if you are going to have corals, there is a risk of the anemones damaging the corals by stinging them while he moves about the aquarium.
Mandarin dragonets (aka goby) are difficult to maintain. You do have a large enough tank, but I would wait until 9 months to a year after initial live rock was introduced to the tank to make sure you have a healthy pod population. As Thomas mentioned, avoid any other fish that might compete with him. A scooter blenny is another dragonet that will compete with him. One should never have more than one dragonet per tank unless you have a really large tank. Our 240gal display at the store only has one dragonet (scooter). I know people that have more than one and I still caution them. Some have had success in training them to eat enriched brine.

giantregal

thanks for the help
if it is that great of a chance that my coral gets stung i will stay away from anemone's
my first live rock about 40lbs that was in my tank has been in there since september i added live rock that was in a guys tank for 3 years about 80 lbs worth and added that 2 weeks ago
the sand is not the crushed coral you are thinking about its like crushed coral SAND, its really thin, about 1/2mm per piece of sand ;) (only way i can describe it) it was called live sand at the LFS
i just want something to clean my sand bed, would teh clean up crew do that good enough?
im opent o suggestions on good reef fishe's :)
stephan