etss reef devil help

cj7eagle

My 72 gallon tank with 40 gallon sump/fuge is cycling right now. I have my reef devil skimmer running just to break it in. There is no bioload as of yet, so i dont expect it to skim. I had the gatevalve all the way open as per the directions. Then i closed it a few turns. Then tonight i went to check on it, and water is spitting out of the top where the air is supposed to come in. any ideas why?
I have it sitting in 6" of water.
Every now and again it spits out a packing peanut into the collection tube. I keep pulling them out as i see them.
The only other skimmer i had before was a coralife 65 on my 29 gallon tank. That thing frustrated me to no end, i am hoping this one isnt the same way.

joncat24

leave it set at the level where it is barely up in the tube for few days to break in. It will take at least 3-4 days to start operating correctly.
When you do adjust it, only do it a 1/2 turn or so at a time and wait 30 minutes before adjusting it anymore to see where it settles at. Then do it again til you get it where you want it.

cj7eagle

Thanks, I have it all the way open again. I just went down to check again and i was getting barely any bubbles, and water was leaking out around the cap piece the intake is connected to. And another packing peanut is floating around. I am going to pull this thing out, and see if i cant flush out anymore peanuts.

cj7eagle

i just spent the last 20 minutes battling with a packing peanut. I eventually won, but that little fella put up quite the fight. anway, i have it back in, and it seems to be running great!

cj7eagle

ok i give up.... I have it all cleaned out of packing peanuts, and i added the bio balls, and i have the gate valve all the way open. it foams so much clean foam that within 10 minutes or so, the collection cup is filled with perfectly clear water. any ideas?

trippkid

I don't have this skimmer, but it sounds like it is too much feed water if the gate valve is all the way open.???
Matt

coraljunky

I have a reef devil. Make sure the water level in the riser tube stays atleast 1 inch below the tube. Give it a few days and then adjust the valve daily. I ran mine wide open for a week with a lower water level in the sump.

chilwil84

adjust it open a 1/4 to 1/2 turn every few hours until the cup gets a darker fluid in it. you have it to closed for the level of water it is in. so remember if you let it get real low it wont get foam into the cup and to high and it will get so much it will be clear water. once you get a darker fluid into it you can adjust it slightly to lighten or darken the skimate

cj7eagle

well i get lower the water in the sump, but i could try and raise the skimmer a little bit. I will give that a shot and see what happens. thanks.

cj7eagle

well i raised the skimmer about 3 inches, and it seems to have helped, but not a whole lot. it still fills up fast, just not quite as fast. I am going to let it run like that for a few days with the lid on loosely, so it can just overflow back into the sump. I really dont know what else to do.

chilwil84

what kind of water additives do you use, chlorine removers and such, antibiotics will cause them to overflow along with prima and melafix

cj7eagle

i am not adding anything to the water. The tank has only been running with fish in it for a week or so.
I am running a mag 7 pump with it.

cj7eagle

Update...
I acclimated a fish last night, and when finished, i pulled out a total of 5 gallons of water, and put a fresh 5 gallons in. Almost immediately the skimmer calmed down. I got a little bit of water throughout the night. This morning i emptied it, and it was skimming great. not overflowing at all.
Then about 10 minutes ago I pulled out a dirty filter sock and put in a brand new one, and it made the skimmer go nuts. any ideas?