ETSS skimmers...help

oceanminded

Ok when I bought my 190 gallon setup it came with an etss protein skimmer. Never had one so I am not sure what model it is. Is there any way to find out? And am I suppossed to clean this thing out?....if so how. All help greatly appreciated.

oceanminded

oh yea forgot to say my tank is fine and crystal clear and the skimmer is going into my sump. They also sell them on this site.

golfish

a picture might help. How tall is it? what pump did is come with?
Lets hope its not an ETSS Reef Devil

golfish

Originally posted by oceanminded
why reef devil no good?

Pretty much...I've used my share of skimmers in the past 20 years. The Reef Devil was by far the biggest waste of money.
The bigger ETSS skimmers are nice, the smaller RD's are not. You could add a beckets head and a larger pump (1000+ gph) and trun it into a ok skimmer.

niger12

Check out thier website www.superskimmer.com I have used the E.T.S.S. 600 and it was an awsome skimmer. You do need to change the bioballs in the downdraft tube every six months recommended by the manufacturer. As far as cleaning, I cleaned mine every couple of months just like all my other skimmeres. Even if it is a ReefDevil you could have got a lot worse skimmers. IMO ReefDevils are still good skimmers.

I have a reefdevil (55gallon)and a pro 800 (150gallon)and I like them both. play around with water hight in the sump I have found that the water should not be over the output tube if it is you will have wet foam or just pump out water. cleaning I clean mind every week or so. I take a the top off and in the sink spray out and use a wet paper towel to clean the rest and the neck of the skimmer in the picture is the reefdevil. hope this helps

oceanminded

thanks everyone. I am pretty sure it is one of the bigger etss skimmers. I dont have a good camera so I cant take a pic. I will probably try to call the guy I bought it from and ask how to clean it.

golfish

Originally posted by oceanminded
thanks everyone. I am pretty sure it is one of the bigger etss skimmers. I dont have a good camera so I cant take a pic. I will probably try to call the guy I bought it from and ask how to clean it.

Again, how tall is it?

niger12

Oceanminded, If you look at my earlier post there is a link to E.T.S.S. website. If it is one of thier skimmers you will find it there.

oceanminded

ok I have narrowed it down to either the 600 or the 800 and I believe it is the 800. Talked with the guy I bought it from and I now know what to do. Thanks everyone for your help. Makes me feel better that I got the whole setup for about the price of the skimmer...lol

niger12

One way to tell the 800 from the 600 is the 800 has two skimmer tubes or downdraft tubes. The 600 only has one.

daceman89

Originally posted by golfish
a picture might help. How tall is it? what pump did is come with?
Lets hope its not an ETSS Reef Devil

is there anything wrong with etss reef devil

golfish

I had a Reef Devil II. I felt it was a waste of money. I paid something like 250.00 new about 6 years ago. It never skimmed good, when it did all it took was a hand in the tank, food in the water, openclose a window, dust the furniture, fart in the room and it would stop doing what little skimming it did. I played around with different pumps, gate valves, Beckets head, what ever I could to get it work. I canned it for a Euro Reef skimmer. Compared to the ER the Reef Devil II was a door stop.
I'm sure others think its the best skimmer in the world, until you have a good skimmer to compare it to.
I've seen the bigger ETSS skimmers in action. They seem to be very good. I'd NEVER use one but just like lighting what ever your using is the best.