Euipment help!

cldburton

I have a 75 gallon tank that is curing. I have a fluval 403 filter, protein skimmer and my lights are basic. If someone can please help me :confused: Here are my questions:
1. I am doing a fish only tank what do you suggest for lights and the watts?
2. What do you suggest for powerheads and size?
I have read all kinds of material but none as good as this forum!
:)

pmauro

I am not an expert on the light so I will pass on that, but for power heads I would go with at least 2 in the rear at opposite ends 1 high 1 low points diag across the tank. make sure the one near the surface ripples the surface of the tank for areaition, just a slight ripple will do as for size you will want to cycle the water a minimum of 5 times per hour. take the gph rating of your fluval and subtract it from 375 (5x75 # of cycles per hr) then choose 2 power heads that will split the difference. Maxi jets are good, caps are ok but have a little chatter when used with a wave maker. the choiec is yours, my understanding is stay away from rio pumps I understand many folks have had problems with them, again your choice, my .02

krux

If all you are going to do is fish, then the only light you need is enough to illuminate the tank to levels that the fishes you are holding are used to.... brighter for shallow reef dwellers, not as bright for deeper reef species. Of course figure in enough light so that you can view them properly as well.
Most folks prefer to have a mix of "white" and "blue" light in their tank. The blue light adds an illusion of depth, like you would see on a nature type program, and is beneficial to most photosnthetic organisms, which in a fish only tank is not of importance. Blue lights can also be used to simulate a dawn and dusk period, so as not to shock your fish should you use a higher wattage, brighter illumination system.
White lights are necessary in most systems to bring "daylight" into your system. If you opt for only blue spectrum lights, you will lose a lot of the color from your inhabitants. While blue does help flouresce your fish, without white you miss out on the brilliance of a lot of species.
That said, if I was to recommend to you a light setup for your tank, one that was only going to support fish, I would probably start with a double ballast 55 watt power compact fixture. If you are able to spend a bit more you could upgrade to 96 watts, assuming your tank is long enough to handle the bulbs. In this configuration, if you would like a brightly lit tank, you could run a 50/50 bulb in one socket, and a "daylight" or "full spectrum reef" type bulb in the other. For a deeper environment, you could go with 2 50/50 bulbs, which will be not as bright, but stronger in the blue tones, making for a very nice display that will not shock the deeper dwellers.
If you are lucky enough to get a balast where each bulb is on a separate circuit, you can set a timer for each one, having the 50/50 come on a half hour before the daylight bulb, and turning off a half hour later, so give your fish a warming up, and slowing down period.
Also, this setup will be ideal, if at some point you want to go reef, because you can add in metal halide bulbs of appropriate wattage depending in your tank depth, and use the PC lights for full blue, giving you the lighting necessary for corals, anemones, and clams etc.
If you want to get ahead, and money is not as big of a problem, you sould invest directly into MH lights, a lot more expensive, but necessary for most non fish inhabitants in the trade. As i dont run MH, others might be able to give you better advice if you decide to go this route from the start. All i know is, the higher the temperature (6700k, 10,000k, 12,00k, 20,000k etc.) the more blue the light output gets, so bulb selection can be very important.
Hope that helps. A lot of lighting is going to depend on if you have a hood already, where you have the freedom to mount whatever you want in them, or if you have to buy a light fixture that is already fabricated. Look for "retro" or "retrofit" kits if you are adding lights to your existing hood by the way.
Kruxy

krux

I should have said 10,00k daylight bulb, not full spectrum, some times full spectrum without a temp rating will get you a grow light. look for 10,000, thats a better lable

cldburton

Pmauro really helped me with the above formula. I was working on figuring out what I would need for powerheads. My fluval cycles 317 gallons an hour so with the above formula it tells me that I don't need a whole lot more circulation for fish. I was looking at powerheads and decided that I should really buy powerheads that would allow for anemone's and corals if I should want to try them in the future.
What formula should I use to figure out how much more circulation I would need??

pmauro

More is better, if yoy are looking at anemone's and corals then get a couple of good powerheads, something that will at least double the fluval. remember these animals are used to strong currents so don't be afraid to move the water, maybe a couple of MJ 500 or something like that.

cldburton

Thanks again! I really appreciate the info! Do you have any anemone's? If so what do you think....... Are they worth it?? :)

pmauro

I don't yet but my tank is still in cycle, but I do plan on anemone's and coral after my tank has seasoned for a while.