Euro reef skimmer intake question

ncsnake

Is there suppose to be any foam located at the pump intake on the euro reef ES5-3? Ive noticed turbelence at the intake and that equates to bubbles in the tank. There was a piece of foam there when it was shipped But I ASSumed it was just protecting the PVC fitting during shipment.

D

dustybottoms

How long has it been up and running?? It'll take a coupe of days to break in and then those tank bubbles should stop, another thing, make sure your pump isnt too fast for the skimmer.

ncsnake

Skimmer has been online for about 4 days and is producing very little to nothing--Adjustment pipe is all the way up, hadn't heard that pump could be too fast, interesting.
Maybe the turbulent water is because my return pump is so close to the intake of the skimmer pump. I have an external on the way so I will find out in a few days.

bigmac

Originally posted by NCSNAKE
Is there suppose to be any foam located at the pump intake on the euro reef ES5-3?

NO

jauringer

just bought a euro-reef es6-1. If you are asking if there should be bubbles in the main column of the skimmer the answer would be ,yes. The bubbles are created in the intake of the pump and chopped up smaller in the "special impeller". The peice of foam you are refering to goes around the exit pipe to decrease bubbles in the tank. i had to add an extra baffles to my sump to stop the microbubbles (for the most part at least) it took mine about 6 days to start working and now it's nuts, atleast 5 times more effecient than my bak pak. I hope that answered your question. I couldn't quite understand what you ment by "pump intake." make sure your water level is good to. That skimmer needs to be in 6-8 inches of water, and the pump comes with the skimmer. There is no way it is too fast for it.