evap proplem

saltywhit67

How do you guys deal with the evaporation and the salinity rising in your tanks. i checked today and the salinity was at 1.025 and there wasnt even that much water evaporated. How do i beat this?:help:

saltywhit67

* Auto-top off. Keeps salinity at the same level, and I don't have to add water daily.*
what is "Auto-top off?" I heard it is a really bad thing to add fresh water, anyone else?

golfish

Originally posted by saltywhit67
* Auto-top off. Keeps salinity at the same level, and I don't have to add water daily.*
what is "Auto-top off?" I heard it is a really bad thing to add fresh water, anyone else?

Have you been talking to your local fish store? Think about it, Our tanks evap fresh water. They don't evap salt water, if they did your SG would go down with the level of the tank. IMO, keeping a consistant SG is just as important as anything else when it comes to good water quality.
A GOOD top off system is just as important as good lighting and good filtration.

saltywhit67

yes i agree it is very important. what i am lookin for is how do you maintain your sg? and how do other people and what is the best method?

footbag

Your SG should maintain itself. As long as your water change water is the right SG. MY auto-top off (Powerhead w/float switch)adds enough fresh water to make up for evaporation. Since it is hooked up to a float switch it maintains the sumps water level. As long as that level is maintained your SG stays the same.
IF you frequently scoop out water, your SG will lower over a long time. BUT your water changes will correct that.

golfish

Originally posted by saltywhit67
what is the best method?

I've used a few methods and settled for a Liter Meter, Sipodone float switch, Spectrapure RODI system, 35 gal RODI water holding tank, I also use a garden hose bib timer to top off my 35 gal holding drum.
I can walk away from my tank for 4 months and not have to worry about top off. Hmmm, maybe I should get rid of the fish:D

saltywhit67

wow, sounds like i need to do something like that to help maintain my sg. i dont have a fuge, does that make a difference? can you guys give me some detailed step by step instructions on how to do this? I am very interested and i am sorry to bother you guys but it would help me out a ton!!!