evapoarton

foxface2

it seems like i have a lot of evaporation and that i am toping my tank offf a lot.i am addding wter alomost everyday.is that normal is there anything i can do

B

bonita69

that is normal, auto top off will help, do you have a sump?

michaeltx

in the winter with the heaters going the air is dryer so there will be more evaporation going on its normal to have more.
how much are you topping off and what size tank.
Mike

salt monger

i add about 1 gallon per day in my 75 gallon tank and i only have t5 lighting, what worries me is that all this water must be condensing somewhere? is it condensing in my walls.... i hope i don't have mold issues down the road...

michaeltx

thats about normal.
its going into the air thats all. in the winter time the heaters in the home really dry the air out so it sucks up water to level back out. but more than likely there is more moisture in the air on a spring day than you have now. if you are worried you can get a dehumidifier that can pull the water out of the air.
Mike

michaeltx

that still in a good range depending on where you live and how dry the air is and what you keep the temp at
Mike

socal57che

1 gal. daily.
72 bow under a heater vent.
Depends on your hood/lights/fans also. Open top with a lot of aiflow and blazing halides will increase evaporation.

big

Yep, I have a 72 Bow, no glass cover with a big basement sump- fuge. At least 1 1/2 gallon a day. Like Mike or somebody said the evaporation is good for the indoor air in the winter.
Summer I think mine is less evaporation. Moister air in the house. Bad then, makes AC work harder keeping humidity down ..
... Warren

michaeltx

I had about 3 gallons on my open top 100 I had setup in the winter and 1 gallon a day in the summer with the AC on.
Mike

briand7878

I just got a float valve auto shut off for my ro/di unit. There is no problem running that water directly to my sump with the auto shut off in there is there. I lose about 3 gallons per day and get tired of filling it all the time.

john,jr

Originally Posted by salt monger
http:///forum/post/2461143
i add about 1 gallon per day in my 75 gallon tank and i only have t5 lighting, what worries me is that all this water must be condensing somewhere? is it condensing in my walls.... i hope i don't have mold issues down the road...
I have a set up almost like your and a gallon a day is what I t5 lighting and a sump for filter.

1journeyman

180 gallon, 100g refugium and sump.
About 4 gallons a day in the winter.... Yes, it's a pain.
Evaporation is a sign of good gas exchange though.

big

Originally Posted by nina&noah
http:///forum/post/2470617
hmmmmm I only top off about once every 3 days. Usually with a gallon or less. I have a 90 gallon.
That looks like covered tank???..... no more than that