evaporation what do i do ???????????????

jacare

my watter is evaporatin and all the salt is stuck on the glass top and the lights what do i do?????
shold i put the salt back inthe watter that i collet from the galss top the guy at the store told me just to add fresh watter / can some one plisss help
ohh yeh and what temp should my watter be at i have a hater should i turn it on and if so at what level ??
thank you
:help: :notsure: :scared:

viper_930

Freshwater should be added slowly to make up for the evaporated water. You also need to test the water with either a refractometer or hydrometer (refracts are MUCH more accurate) and add saltwater or freshwater accordingly. Proper salanity would be 34 ppt, or a specific gravity of 1.025.
Turn the heater on and set it between 78-82 degrees. The number on the dial wouldn't always be correct though. It could be set to 74 but it might still keep the tank at a stable 80. You'd have to fiddle with it for the first day or two.

pbienkiewi

You may want to take the glass top off. because the light will penetrate the water better. As for the salt creep. just use a damp cloth to absorb it. Try not to get it into the water.

sw65galma

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Freshwater should be added slowly to make up for the evaporated water. You also need to test the water with either a refractometer or hydrometer (refracts are MUCH more accurate) and add saltwater or freshwater accordingly. Proper salanity would be 34 ppt, or a specific gravity of 1.025.
Turn the heater on and set it between 78-82 degrees. The number on the dial wouldn't always be correct though. It could be set to 74 but it might still keep the tank at a stable 80. You'd have to fiddle with it for the first day or two.
Ya one day they may actually make a heater that when you set it for that temp, it actually MEANS that temp

jacare

if i take my glass top off wount that be bad cuz then the light will be full of salt
and another ??
i hace a coral reef light it cost me 320$$ is that good for a 55g?
lol i know i ask alot of ?? but im still new at this so pliss help thanks for all you guys help !!!!!!!!

viper_930

You should just wipe the bulbs off every once in a while anyways. What is actually causing all the saltwater to splash up? You have to be careful of the splashes because too much will crack the bulbs.
Exactly what setup is it? Bulb type, wattage, kelvin rating, etc...

jacare

i have no idea what set up it is but the guy at the store had one in the sotre aquarium and it was espensive 320 dollers he told me that i had more then anough light in my 55 g wit it
and my watter is no splashing i was woundering if the salt will brake the light

viper_930

Try to find out exactly what setup it is.
The salt itself will not break the lights. I was concerned that the lower temp water will crack them.

joncat24

I noticed in the pic of your tank that it looks like you have a massive bubble stone in it...if it is that is where your salt creep is coming from. every time a bubble pops on the surface it releases salt upwards. just my .02 though as I am still a newbie myself

blemmy_guy

Jacare, joncat is exactly right about the bubble stone, get rid of it fast, it will just cause a mess! Did you ever figure out just what type lights you have. Read the box they came in. it would really help us to know .
Todd

merredeth

Originally Posted by jacare
dose any one have msm here ?
ha ha ha ha
i realy need help
my msm is
jacarebjj@hotmail.com
a
nd my aol is
jacarepe
thankss
Yes, I am on msn. My address is runwaymobilesound.com and you can IM me and I'll try to help you the best I can with your problem.
I work a lot of hours, so I'm always online. If you can be patient with me here and there and let me take the occassional phone call and type a little slower when necessary I'm sure we can get your tank figured out.
Denise M.
:thinking:

jacare

ill get the watts tomorow on the light
Merredeth your msm dos not work
guys im sorry about the way i write im from brasil and it's hard for me

merredeth

Originally Posted by jacare
ill get the watts tomorow on the light
Merredeth your msm dos not work
guys im sorry about the way i write im from brasil and it's hard for me
Yes it does - look it up by the email address I gave you in the previous post. I'm not listed publically. I believe my friends put in my email address and then a request gets put on my side and I have to accept it.
Let me see if I can find yours and request for you.
Denise M.

merredeth

Originally Posted by Merredeth
Let me see if I can find yours and request for you.
Denise M.

Post-Script - I found you easily enough and sent you email. All you have to do is accept the invite and I'll help the best I can.
Denise M.

mudplayerx

I agree that you should take the glass canopy off if you are able. It blocks gas exchange, blocks light penetration, and can allow the water temperature to get too high.
Your evaporation rate will go up by about 50% if you remove the canopy, but it is well worth it. When doing topoffs, I don't believe it is necessary to add the water slowly as long as you topoff the water once a day. I pour almost an entire gallon into my tank during topoffs with no ill effects on the corals.
Also, it is my opinion that salt creep IS the salt from your water. Salt creep that is discarded will slowly lead to lowered salinity. I used to gather my salt creep with a razor then dump it into my fuges (hob filters). Just dont dump it into the tank because it will severely burn anything it lands on. However, once you remove your canopy, you really wont have issues with creep anymore.