Ever have a brown legged hermit?

jodilynn

I noticed last night that we have a brown legged hermit in our tank. Also, for unknown reasons, one of our blue legged hermits pops up dead every so often. We have probably lost 7 or 8 in the last 3 months. They are not molting (changing shells) but the real thing. It's shell looks like one a blue-legged would use but it is brown with 4 legs and two claws but one of them is VERY BIG. The bottom half of the claw is white and jagged and the bottoms of his legs are white. I decided to take him out because I had gone to a LFS recently and I saw an employee pull out a brown hermit crab mumbling something about they kill everything and aren't good for anything. If I had known that I was haboring one in my tank than I would of pursued that topic with him. Has anyone had one of these and are they a problem? Thanks for any info. I did do a search on this topic but did not find out much (very little). Jodi

blondenaso1

Well, I have some brown legs and I do think they kill things. One took out my cleaner shrimp. If he is not hurting anything then let him be. Also, do you extra shells around for the bluelegs to change into as they grow? It is also possible that the brown leg has been pulling out the bluelegs for their shells.

toddius

I have blue, red, green, black, strawberry and I have only purchased blues and reds. I have not had any problems and the different colors are cool.

white and black are zebra (i have them to keep my daitom down) i have 2 brown legs they killed about 5 hermits total together.then i threw them in my freinds 300 agressive with trigggers and puffers !!!!((((((chomp
))!!!!