Ever have your lights blow out the breaker?

jeff10

So About 3 months ago, my sister gave me her 46 gallon bow front. Getting the Emperor going on it some water went down the wall and into the socket. That room shut down. After switching the breaker back on for that room, everything is fine. About a month ago, I got some lights through the mail and they have been fine but this morning, I cut them on and everything in that room went off. Did this three times and bam, lights go off in that room.
Went to loews and got the converter to make it "female" I guess and plugged the lights into another outlet in that room, and sure enough, lights went out.
I dont have a top for the tank, but the lights are covered...BUT, this is the Aquarium room where my roommate has Lizards (awesome set ups) and that room runs hotter so the water evaporates more quickly. I opened up the lights and there was some salt and a little moisture, is this the problem?
Anyone run into something like this?
<

[hr]
in case Flower posts

2quills

I would clean the fixture out really good. Sounds like something is shorting out or causing backfeed. You say the lights worked fine until recently? I would also open up the outlet that had water splashed on it and inspect all of the wires and connections, even though the problem occured when you pluged the light into a different circuit I would still check that receptical anyways just incase. But something in the fixture has to be shorted out somehow or making contact where it shouldn't be and that's probably what is tripping the breaker.

acrylic51

What else is on that circuit? Possible a bad or weak breaker.... But would look more towards the fixture though.

flower

I posted just because
...LOL
My .02 FWIW... it isn't the water that got on the outlet causing your problems...a short in the light maybe. Check it by plugging it into another outlet in another room...if it blows the fuse you know it's the lights and if not look elsewhere.

jeff10

Yeah, its the lights itself. I bought a new bulb and put it in, and the only thing that comes on are the lunar lights and it did not blow out anything then....The T5 lights wont come on.
Thought you would like that flower :)

flower

Originally Posted by Jeff10
http:///forum/post/3290612
Yeah, its the lights itself. I bought a new bulb and put it in, and the only thing that comes on are the lunar lights and it did not blow out anything then....The T5 lights wont come on.

Bummer about your lights, how long did you have them? I ask because I got T5s about 6 years ago and they only lasted 4 months, they were a new type of light back then and I was wondering if they had better technology making them now.

2quills

Originally Posted by Jeff10
http:///forum/post/3290612
I wonder if you just need to replace the old sockets with some new ones and instal some moister proof endcaps on them. How do they look, are they all rusty?

jeff10

Had them about a month and they look fine to be honest 2Q. I emailed the place I ordered them from and they will be sending me new lights...so that is good :)
Just sucks because I got a free 46 gallon Bow tank and it is doing SOOOOO good!!! All the noob mistakes I made on the first one I knew about and now it does not have the light needed :( Ohhh, the life of the salty :)

scsinet

Sounds to me like a defective ballast or something wrong internally with the lighting system. Water in the wall receptacle - which I assume is what you are talking about - can't be your issue because it wouldn't manifest itself only when the lights were switched on, since the switch is PAST the outlet if you get what I'm saying.
I doubt that moisture in the sockets is your cause, but it wouldn't hurt to do a visual inspection and clean anything out that you find, but I'm betting it's your ballast.