Ever made a Denitrator?

27mtaylor

Has anyone ever made a DIY denitrator? I have seen some plans for them on the net, but I'm curious to know if they will really work. Any thoughts?

sou812

I had a freind that made 1 a year ago it works great I just made a big one a week ago. Ww'll c it takes 6 weeks to mature.I will post it up when the time comes.

27mtaylor

Thanks, I would love to know how it works out for you. I'm very tempted to go out tomorrow and get the supplies to make one.

sou812

well i know they work and if u do decide to do it it would only cost about 20-30 $$ also instead of coiling the tubing one the inside I wrapped it on the outside. A hell of a lot easier.

27mtaylor

That's a good idea too. I will have to remember that. Did you use a black tubing to keep the algae growth down?

27mtaylor

How many feet of tubing did you wind up using? Also how long was your cylindar and did you use 3" or 4" PVC? ...sorry for all the questions.

rujelus22

I have had one running for about 3 months now and I can't seem to get it to go over 110 drips a minute, it has 300' of tubing the chamber is 4' PVC and it's filled with bio-balls. The water that comes out has 0 nitrates 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia but if I go past the 110 mark I start to get nitrites. At first I only had 100' of tubing so I added more but with 300' now O2 should be out of the water before it gets to the chamber, any ideas.

27mtaylor

How did you tank water test? Was it dropping the trates in there too, or was it working too slow to make much of a difference?