Ever seen a Dragon Moray smile?

95harley

I moved my 17 damsels and Dragon Moray to their new 240g home downstairs this weekend from their old 75g.
The Dragon managed to grab and eat at least 1 and maybe 2 damsels in the process of me pulling all the LR out of the 75g to try and catch them. Believe it or not the stupid damsels were more work to catch & move than a 30" DME.
But now they are all happy in their 8' soon to be softy reef tank. No pictures with fish but here is their new home under 16 HO T5's.
The right side is running Blue's only as 2 bulbs were broke in shipping but should be at my door when I get home today.
After watching him swim the length of the 8' tank I swear I saw him smiling. Or maybe he was just happy he finally caught a few of those damsel tankmates after a year of trying.

crypt keeper

Man is that badass or what? Sweet set up. I bet he is loving life. That tank is huge. Id bet anothet DME could work.

95harley

Could not help myself, had to run home and snap a quick pictures at lunch.
Forgive the flash, I'll work on getting better pics soon.
Is he not smiling?

kylev

very nice setup. I really want a DME myself for my next tank after the tank i havnt even really got going yet. All i was planning is a 75g, would that work for life or not?

95harley

Originally Posted by Kylev
http:///forum/post/3246194
very nice setup. I really want a DME myself for my next tank after the tank i havnt even really got going yet. All i was planning is a 75g, would that work for life or not?
My eel has lived in a 75g for the last 18 months, but I just felt he was a little cramped. You can search some of my old posts and see him in a 75g to get scale. My eel is almost full grown at around 31".
I would recommend at least a 5'x2'x2' or a 150g as a minimum for an adult.
Hope this helps.

crypt keeper

I think what Joe is doing for a species only set up is the best idea. Its like the tank with beauty and death. Its gonna look amazing!

kylev

Originally Posted by 95Harley
http:///forum/post/3246447
My eel has lived in a 75g for the last 18 months, but I just felt he was a little cramped. You can search some of my old posts and see him in a 75g to get scale. My eel is almost full grown at around 31".
I would recommend at least a 5'x2'x2' or a 150g as a minimum for an adult.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input, and I have looked at your DME in your 75g quite a few times since that is basically what convinced me of wanting one

95harley

Starting to wonder how successful of a reef this tank can be. My Dragon is literally all over the tank. High, Low, wrapping around decor, up and down....he's like a kid on caffine and sugar

[hr]
He has already managed to dislodge a few of the 5 pieces of Kenya tree frags I had in there.
I'm afraid to add Zoo's as I'm worried they may sting him. He does appears to be having fun in his new and improved home though...and I'm glad to see it. He went from a 72g Bow in MI in a petstore, to 1.5yrs of my 75g tank, to now a 240g 8' tank. Who knows what he was in before.
Gotta love an eel, a pet that lives 20-30 years and requires so little is a great thing....corals or no corals.