Ever seen this?!

gatrpetvet

Came home today to find my green chromis lodged between my small urchin and the glass of the tank.....as if the urchin was eating him! Clownfish and sailfin tang are fine. Chromis was fine this AM- went shopping, came home, found him like this. The caudal half of his body looked like it had been eaten off! Removed him from the urchin's clutch and unfortunately he was still alive!!! Poor fish:( He is dead now. I am struggling to figure out what happened?!?! How did the urchin get him? And why?? Or do you guys think something else happened and it was a coincidence he got lodged between the urchin and the tank (not at the bottom of the tank, they were towards the top fron of the tank)? I am so confused and sad. Has anyone ever seen anything like this happen? Could an urchin possibly do this on his own?? Any ideas? I am heartbroken but at least the others are ok.....for now?!?!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Your urchin did not attack your chromis. Perhaps the chromis swam into the spines, as they normally might swim into a a hard coral, but then got stuck.