everyone hates damsels and good

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by salix
that is indeed what i learned.
i had to remove my rock and i had to be careful when buying fish.
I am glad that you have learned now though. I will commend you for that.

salix

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
This analogy does not quite work because you are the one who put your fish into danger in the first place. It woud be like you put your dog into a room with an angry pitbull. I can see maybe if a pitbull came up to your dog in the park and attacked it. Then I can see justifying attacking the other dog to save your own. But in this case, a damsel was put into your tank by you. It was not the damsel who caused your other fish to die. In the end, it was your own ignorance of the damsel's natural behavior.
i understand it is not exactly the same( even though my lfs didn't notify me of the danger, of having a domino), but i live in montana where i have montain lion and bears that do come onto my property as well as stray or wondering dogs, coyotes and wolves.
all the same the damsel is still alive and doing fine in a very large predator tank. too smart for me.
i'm really not that evil. i hope everybody can forgive me.

fogger

I have a 3 inch neon damsel that smacks the head of my 5 inch dog face puffer and i think it is kinda cute

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by salix
i understand it is not exactly the same( even though my lfs didn't notify me of the danger, of having a domino), but i live in montana where i have montain lion and bears that do come onto my property as well as stray or wondering dogs, coyotes and wolves.
all the same the damsel is still alive and doing fine in a very large predator tank. too smart for me.
i'm really not that evil. i hope everybody can forgive me.
No, I am not saying you are evil by any means. At least you didn't kill the damsel. I give you credit for that. You found the fish a more appropriate home.
I was simply stressing that research can save a lot of people from their problems before they occur. I hate to say it, as I have worked at an LFS, but they do not always give the best information and should not be relied upon solely for knowledge. I am not targeting that at you individually, but just saying it as a general statement.

mrdc

My dominos are mean two newcomers at first and then leave them alone. They do chase each other all the time and you can tell by the bite marks on their tails. Nothing messes with my regal tang which is good because I want to keep her healthy! I plan to pick up the challenge again in trying to remove the damsels. I will drop them in my fuge or overflow box until I can get them to the LFS. They will probably end up staying since I won't be removing my rocks. The blenny taught one a lesson which is funny since the domino will turn around and leave if he sees the blenny coming!

Chasmodes

You can trap them if they are small. Use a piece of 2" PVC with a bend and a cap at one end. After a while they will take refuge there and all you have to do is chase them in there, cover the end, and remove them without having to mess up your tank. I saw another post on these forums (forget who) where one member used a soda bottle and just left it in the tank with some food in it. My guess is that the fish can find their way in but can't find their way out. Again, patience and not having to rearrange your tank, and you won't be cursing either

jovial

Originally Posted by Phixer
Lunare Wrasse = no more Damsels. Too bad your Grouper and Lion died but the Damsels lived? I have seriously re-thought my opinion of these fish. In the past I had two that bullied every other fish in their tank, can certainly understand your frustration. Until I introduced a Lunare Wrasse.
Ive heard that the Lunare can be aggressive.

phixer

They can be, the Lunare is one of the more aggressive Wrasses. I like watching him swim like a torpedo through the water. I heard some crunching one night when he was digging and two damsels became .5 damsel. Im pretty sure it was the Wrasse because the other fish were bullied by the damsels.