Everyone is Dead....Now what?

jmaggi

I had the beginings of a nice tank set up, and then like a flaming case of herpies..disaster struck. Every one with a backbone is dead

Im not sure but it seemed like a case of velvet? the first one to go was the tomato clown, his color seemed to fade slightly;buy the next morning he looked as though some one had glued salt or sugar crystals all over him.
Buy the time I figured out what posibly had killed the tomato it was already to late for the tank.
Now that I have laid every one to rest, the only things I have left are a starfish, an olive snail, some hermit crab and a emerald crab.
I now bequeth the fish GODs help.
Now what?.....what do I do with my tank? Im to affraid to put any thing in my tank for fear it to will suffer an agonizing death.
Do I tear everything down, clean everthing down and start fresh?
Im thinking on dumping the live sand, the bio wheel and the filter. What should I do with the live rock? :help:

nick76

Originally Posted by jmaggi

I had the beginings of a nice tank set up, and then like a flaming case of herpies..disaster struck. Every one with a backbone is dead

Im not sure but it seemed like a case of velvet? the first one to go was the tomato clown, his color seemed to fade slightly;buy the next morning he looked as though some one had glued salt or sugar crystals all over him.
Buy the time I figured out what posibly had killed the tomato it was already to late for the tank.
Now that I have laid every one to rest, the only things I have left are a starfish, an olive snail, some hermit crab and a emerald crab.
I now bequeth the fish GODs help.
Now what?.....what do I do with my tank? Im to affraid to put any thing in my tank for fear it to will suffer an agonizing death.
Do I tear everything down, clean everthing down and start fresh?
Im thinking on dumping the live sand, the bio wheel and the filter. What should I do with the live rock? :help:
I doubt u should just give u, u need to analize the problem and figure out what went wrong and be sure of it before u do anything hasty. Also us knowing the levels in your tank would help.

stanlalee

I'd just not add anything for a good while as opposed to starting all over being that you still have some livestock in there.

puffer32

You ned to give the ich time to die, and its eggs, about 6 weeks or so, then add one fish to see how it does.

ophiura

There is no need to take the tank down. That really doesn't accomplish anything, IMO.
But we do need to figure out what went wrong.
We'll need specifics on your tank set up and filtration, how old? Specific water parameters? What livestock? Water changes?