Everything Dead

watson3

Originally Posted by stimpy4242
five days without like could cause the death of light sensitive animals.
I do not agree...Also, could we see a picture of the light ?

taz_12777

I would agree with 1journeyman that five days without lights would not kill a healthy anemone. As you walked out the door the light would have had to go out and five days is not that long. As for the rock I would rinse it and clean it the best you can and put it in a seperate tub for a while with a powerhead and a filter, if you have one and keep it at a good temp.You will have die off but I don't think that it will be just base rock, it should come back.

watson3

Ummm...Thanks ...I think..I just meant that as far as blaming the lights, and saying that I had the best on the market, I would like to see them ON HIS tank..I have too many pics of my tank and my lights were nowhere near this much...Know what i mean

stimpy4242

Originally Posted by gwh57
Five days without light will not kill a bristle worm.
No kidding, ok perhaps you all should read, i am sorry if I sound rude I am very upset...five days without light could kill an anemone...a dead anemone rotting away in water can kill other things and then a chain reaction of huge ammonia spike can kill everything including bristleworms....

stimpy4242

Tank has been healthy for a year. I don't know what else i should consider. Powerheads are concealed from any thing that could get there...anemone has not moved for months...unlikely that it would decide to just start heading out that night....anyway...i will begin to cycle the rock again and reuse it...thanks for the advice...hey and if anyone feels like donating a couple anemones or livestock or corals to my loss...feel free...i miss my marroon clown...he was such a good looking guy...feel free to check out my posts to see him or my tank with the solaris lighting

cowfishrule

i dunno dood.
my bta went 5 days w/o light, and it pulled through.
maybe because i was only running pc's ?
that solaris thing looks like "sunlight in a box"
maybe going from mad intense light to nada did it in?

stimpy4242

Well since this is the fourth solaris light to break, perhaps all the other outtages before though short like a night or some day all added up and then finally with this being five days it did it in...my advice to everyone here DO NOT BUY SOLARIS! I have gone through FOUR lights without success! I can understand one, maybe two...but three and four???? For 2500 dollars??? BS

gwh57

No kidding, ok perhaps you all should read, i am sorry if I sound rude I am very upset...five days without light could kill an anemone...a dead anemone rotting away in water can kill other things and then a chain reaction of huge ammonia spike can kill everything including bristleworms....
Yes, I think I said that too. It just appears that you are determined that somehow the lights did this. Everyone else seems to dissagree with that idea. If you think your lights did this to your tank how did that happen? Going out didn't cause it! Staying own didn't cause it! Going on and off didn't cause it! If they didn't fall into the water then how did they cause this problem? :notsure:

gwh57

Well since this is the fourth solaris light to break, perhaps all the other outtages before though short like a night or some day all added up and then finally with this being five days it did it in...my advice to everyone here DO NOT BUY SOLARIS! I have gone through FOUR lights without success! I can understand one, maybe two...but three and four???? For 2500 dollars??? BS
How did all these previous lights "break"? What happened to them?

watson3

Having seen some of your other posts, nice setup..Having said that, some of the things you have said now versus then dont add up..Thats beside the point..What makes you so sure that the Lights of all things caused this..You seem to be digging a hole..You have yet to posts any readings, and this is how long after the fact?

stimpy4242

Readings? The tank is empty and gone...the stench was outrageous. The ammonia was above the highest reading on my test...what readings did you want me to post....my assumption is based on the fact that I have had a healthy tank for quite some time, the only variable to this tank recently has been the addition of the solaris light. The main thing to be broken each time is the computer controller that controls the lights and when they are off and on...some of the units of actually had lights out. I have come home a number of time in the past few weeks to the light being stuck in night mode which is basically lunar leds. so yes, my assumption that it is the light is based on theory, if everything else has remained constant and only the light has changed then evidence points to the light. Perhaps my anemone only appeared good looking before I left, perhaps these previous days of light no light has shocked it and the light being completely off for that length of time did it in. Then chain reaction from dead anemone in the tank and no one home to take care of it. when you say I am digging a hole, I am not sure what you are talking about. please explain

gwh57

Originally Posted by gwh57
If you think your lights did this to your tank how did that happen? Going out didn't cause it! Staying own didn't cause it! Going on and off didn't cause it! If they didn't fall into the water then how did they cause this problem? :notsure:
Can you answer this?

watson3

Digging a hole..Getting nowhere fast..Whatever...HOw long was the tank running as a whole unit...

watson3

my assumption is based on the fact that I have had a healthy tank for quite some time, the only variable to this tank recently has been the addition of the solaris light.
Your thread started 12/11/2006 is you starting this project..That is barely over a month for everything to have come together, leveled out and have been healthy enough for you to leave it five days, and then blame on the lights..

demartini

Sorry for your loss. I thought the solaris lights were awesome, but I guess they really aren’t all that great.

stimpy4242

You all are mixing tanks. I have three saltwater tanks. It is possible to start a project and the two tanks are not related. I started building a new stand and had a new tank made by glasscages in the last few months and have been recently upgrading it...but the tank that is being upgraded has been up and running for more than a year. I really wish people would stop assuming things. And no the light did not fall into the water. This is the problem...there are NO other variables to this situation. Granted you are right I was not there for five days to see what had happened while I was gone, but i have a grounding probe in the water, if it had been a power surge that killed everything the breakers and gfis on the tank would have tripped they weren't. I have UPS supply on the tank...but neighbors report NO power outtage. The power heads were up and far away from the anemone and the anemone had not moved for nearly a year...don't think it decided to take a vacation the same time as me. So this leaves me thinking of the only other variable in the tank....that is the faulty light that has been consistently inconsistent. It has been off and on since december 12th when I received the first light from solaris. I left the house with the assumption that they told me it was in a mode that was not controlled by the controller and would work...so I can only assume that since I left early morning thursday that the light never came on from the the night before leaving the tank in a dark room and dark for actually six days, i came home yesterday afternoon. So the darkness for all those days coupled with the shotty days before leading up to it, could have resulted in anemone death which explains the cloudy water...anemones disintegrate and cloud the water...that rots and spikes ammonia and the other fish were soon to follow especially fragile fish like the yellow tang...The smell was so foul when I came home I immediately drained the tank removed the carcasses and began deep cleaning...the only thing I tested was the ammonia which was off the chart...hey pH was fine...so unless you can provide another explanation that I can't rebutt then I have to assume its lighting. You all are quick to yell at newbies who put anemones under crappy lighting, but now you aren't ready to blame them...trust me you all yelled at me about crappy lighting on a different tank. So please do not assume things such as this tank started on 12/11/2006 simply because i started a post that said UPGRADE to a bigger tank...and as it stands...the new tanks still has not been set up if you follow through to the last post...i have yet and obviously won't now, switch things over...

gwh57

Once again you haven't answered the question. How did the lights do this? What could a light do to cause this?