Everything is dead

hmcklveen

Well my fish had ich after I got my Sailfin tang.... of course i had to get a tang..... Well i QT'd it and everything and it STILL got ich... So after a few hours of catching all of my fish they all went into my qt that i have its a 20 gallon. They were in there since January 21st. I decided to go with copper treatment this time because my refractometer broke. I just graduated from college so i don't have much money. I went to my LFS who gave me Aquarium Systems copper and test kit. So i go home and follow the directions and then it says the next day to add half the dose i did before so i did and then it said to test it at the same time you first put it in... Everything was good but then i saw the fish still had ich.... So I thought since i had been doing water changes maybe my level went down . I thought maybe i didn't add enough copper and it went down for a little bit and the ich came back so i checked it and sure enough it was low. I added in the copper to raise the level, well the level kept reading low for the next few days and the sailfin was looking really bad covered in ich. I actually thought about doing a freshwater dip on it. It ended up dying last night and everything else was dead this morning. I lost a Desjardini Sailfin tang, fox face, 2 fire fish and a blenny. Well i was testing the water to see what happened and i just happen to read one of the test kit packets that you add into the water and wouldn't you know it expired in 2004!!!! So basically my LFS killed my fish. Yeah i should have looked but didn't really think about that. Its a shame when you can't trust your fish store. And they basically said " Oh well sorry" and thats it. That doesnt help all the hard work i put in my tank. So i just want everyone to know make sure you check the expiration date on that type of stuff because i didn't know and overdosed my fish. No signs that were stated in the packet of overdosing were present on the fish and since they had the ich still i thought that maybe the level really was low.
And yes i know that marine fish get ****** or whatever
Now where do i go from here? I know i need to get the copper out of my QT but i don't even know if i should start over. It just really sucks. I had all the fish i really wanted in my tank and then boom its all gone.

snakeblitz33

1. you could use this as an excuse to sell everything off and start with another hobby that is less expensive and more stable.
2. buy a new test kit, properly quarantine your fish, research, and buy new fish.
I wouldn't blame it on the LFS so much, you wanted a test kit and they got you one.

hmcklveen

well i actually have a 220 but im still living with my parents til i get a job so its just sitting in the basement.... I really don't want to leave the hobby its just hard when everything i worked for just went down the drain... the only reason i even bought that tang was because i knew i had the 220 for when it got bigger.
Yeah i know it was my fault just wish the fish store wouldn't sell stuff that was expired.

hmcklveen

Yeah i guess I'm going to start over after i thought about it. I love this hobby despite the ups and downs that come with it. I have to leave my tank empty until the 22nd that would be 30 days. Do you think its long enough or should I just wait the full 6 weeks. Its not like i have fish anyways i guess.
Now for the QT should i just empty it and then re cycle it or should i just do water changes to get the copper level down.
Also does that tank need to be fallow for 30 days since ich was in that tank or would that high levels or copper killed it to?