Everything is dying. help!!!!

gmford1979

Ok, so my tank is about 9 years old. so its established. its only 55 gal. the problem is that about a month ago i moved it about 200 miles. the water was good, and all the readings were where they needed to be. no nitrate, nitrite, amonia... nothing.
well about 5 days ago, all but 2 fish have died, and now some coral is starting to die. the fish were all at least a year old. my bubble coral, leather mushroom, frogspawn, and zoos are all looking really bad.
i bought me a fluval 305 canister filter and hooked it up yesterday, hoping that maybe it was the old filter. i had a Penguin or Emporer, i can't remember which. but its been on the tank the whole time it has been running. i have changed out the carbon filters, but other than that, it has been running. so thats where i started, but i was wondering what else i needed to do to keep my remaining fish alive and keep my corals from dying.
any help is very much appriciated.

A

azul1994

First what we need is your exact parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph etc. Then we can tell what might be causing your problem.
Did you keep all the water from your old tank?

T

tizzo

All the parameters were good BEFORE you moved it?? Cause it sounds like you recycled and the ammonia killed your critters.

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2527701
All the parameters were good BEFORE you moved it?? Cause it sounds like you recycled and the ammonia killed your critters.
Tank may have recycled but if as you say 'trites and NO4 are okay, probably not. WAYYY lack of information.
Okay, you've got a healthy established tank and it moved. What's the same and what's different? Did you move the water?
If not how long did you aged the new water? Did you acclimate everything, inverts especially? Did the rock move with or without water? New water...well, city or RO/DI?
Like I said, much more data needed but if no new critters were introduced, look to the environment...like water.

N

nonphotosynt

Not an expert, but I went through the one tank crash (due to death of some toxic inhabitants).
What helped a lot, especially the first days, after disassembling this tank - larger amounts of activated carbon, frequently changed (3x a day first day, 2x a day - first week).
If ammonia or nitrites are present - then adding of the bacterial support (like Seachem Stability or Big Al's Bio-Support) and a water conditioner, like Seachem Prime. You can find details how it works on their website.
HTH

gmford1979

thanks guys for your responses.

when i moved, i took all the water. the rocks, fish, inverts, and corals were moved in large plastic bins that i cleaned with vinegar 2 days before the move. well i say i took all the water, i put in 10 new gallons of RO/DI water.
i don't know off the top of my head, but the parameters were all zero. when i get off work today, i'll check them and post.
oh, i have a sand bottom. NO crushed coral.
even a damsel died.