Exactly how HARD is it?

muneyd00d

I've been looking into a fishtank for awile. I used to have a 20 gallon for some small fish, but they were snake food ;). I also had a tiny beta octagon tank. So coming into the saltwater I can honestly say I have no idea what im getting myself into. I know it's more work, but how much? How much more will it cost? I couldnt find a thread on this kinda stuff so I made my own. I'm getting a 30 gallon from my sister, free is good. I only want saltwater because saltwater fish are so colorful. I just want to know what im getting myself into, thanks.
Pat

razoreqx

Originally posted by Muneyd00d
I've been looking into a fishtank for awile. I used to have a 20 gallon for some small fish, but they were snake food ;). I also had a tiny beta octagon tank. So coming into the saltwater I can honestly say I have no idea what im getting myself into. I know it's more work, but how much? How much more will it cost? I couldnt find a thread on this kinda stuff so I made my own. I'm getting a 30 gallon from my sister, free is good. I only want saltwater because saltwater fish are so colorful. I just want to know what im getting myself into, thanks.
Pat

Pat,
Your getting into a great hobby! But beware.. Its worse than a cocain addiction!!
My best advice is READ READ READ before you start buying supplies for your tank or you'll have a boneyard of equipment you bought and tossed out.
Also READ about cycling tanks.. Its so important to do this correctly and monitor the progress.. This will determain the success or failure in getting something good out of this hobby.
Start slow.. start reading on tank cycle... new tank syndrome.. Live rock vs Live sand... Fish only tanks vs Reef tanks.. See what appeals to you first before you buy anything!
Most of all WELCOME!! You found a GREAT location on the net to ask questions and learn and SHARE with us your experiance with Saltwater Aquariums...

muneyd00d

First, thanks! Second, i'm getting the tank anyway. If I decide not to do saltwater, freshwater is good. Is theres a difference between freshwater and saltwater tanks?
EDIT : What I mean is can I get this tank and decide between the two?

karajay

WELCOME

I completely agree - a good book is an excellent place to start.
I haven't kept a FW tank for many years, but if anything, I'd say my SW tank is LESS work. Once you establish the system and get yourself a good clean-up crew (snails, crabs, shrimp etc.) they will do the work for you.
Regarding the edit in your last post - you can definately use a tank for either FW or SW. Depending on what type of filtering equipment you have or want, that can maybe be used also.

gregvabch

yeah, but like razor said, do your research first before you invest your money into anything. for example, if you buy a nice set of lights for your saltwater tank, and then decide you just wanna do a freshwater tank, the lights you have will be overkill, plus the lighting spectrum may be different then what you need as well. there are certain things you need for a saltwater tank that you would not need for a freshwater tank. i second the advice on doing plenty of research before you buy anything. it will save you a lot of money and heartache, promise.

leenie

I hope you decide on saltwater! It is so much more rewarding. Beware, though this hobby takes a whole lotta patience and a WHOLE LOT more money! But I personally think it's worth it!!

muneyd00d

I've been reading around on these forums for a good hour. I'm really interested, and I cant find any threads with facts. I think there should be sticky threads in the newb forum about "Tank cycle" and all that good stuff. Just my opinion, i'm sure i'll find all my info eventually. Just a thought for the moderators ;). And thanks everyone.

beaslbob

welcome::::
My .02: take the tank, add some play sand (3"), put some crushed oyster shells on top, add saltwater, add macro algaes or true marine plants. Let set for a week. Then do the rest.
the plants will filter our all the bad stuff and make the tank much easier to maintain.

muneyd00d

Wowzers, go go gadget expensive. Lights are like, 150 =(. This is gonna burn one hell of a hole in my wallet, lol.
EDIT - Do I ever have to remove everything out of the tank and wash it? Or is everything cleanable in one spot?

beaslbob

Wowzers, go go gadget expensive. Lights are like, 150 =(. This is gonna burn one hell of a hole in my wallet, lol.

If you had a south facing window, lights would be optional. Sun works fine. Just some ordinary type light so you can see the fishes at night if you want.
Even without sun, I just use shop lights on my 55g. Cost me all of $20.00 for the fixtures and tubes.

birdy

There are some cost saving ways to set up an aquarium and there are some things that people try to save money on but end up wishing they had bought the good stuff in the first place.
The reason there is not a sticky on how to do it, is because there are many ways to set up a tank, you have to pick the one that you like the best.
The most popular way to do it is to have a FOWLR, this is a sandbed, LR and fish, no corals yet, eventually you can add corals but it is easy to start out without them, and you won't need to buy expensive lights.
I first will suggest two books for you to read, The New Marine Aquarium, by Michael S. Palletta, and THe Conscientious Marine Aquariust by Fenner.

beaslbob

EDIT - Do I ever have to remove everything out of the tank and wash it? Or is everything cleanable in one spot?

I have never striped down a tank to clean it since I added plants to my fw and Sw aquariums. Both fw and sw have ran for up to 6 years of continuous operation. Sure I have to do some cleaning but totally takeing everything out is not necessary. Again with plant life.

muneyd00d

Originally posted by beaslbob
I have never striped down a tank to clean it since I added plants to my fw and Sw aquariums. Both fw and sw have ran for up to 6 years of continuous operation. Sure I have to do some cleaning but totally takeing everything out is not necessary. Again with plant life.

So just the sponge on a stick whipe down? Anyone want to explain what a "Nano" tank is? And is the specail lighting just for corals? I would like to have some Live rock and stuff in it, but I still dont know. I gotta go find the books that were suggested now, lol. Anyone want to contact me on AIM And help me out? I have a LOAD of questions and it's easier for me to talk one on one. Thanks for all your advice and hella quick response.
EDIT - (again, lol.) What exactly does live sand do? I know live rock helps clean the water and stuff and gives some life to your tank. Also, about how many fish can I put in my 30 gallon tank?

birdy

I would advise you to clean the tank totally out with a vinegar solution, then fill it with clean water to check for leaks, It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to take a test of the water for copper just incase some type of copper treatment was used in the tank (this is bad news for a salt tank).
Another good piece of advise is to not take any one persons opinon on this board. Research everything before you leap. Especially about putting plants in a display tank ( a no no IMO)
I don't have AIM messenger, but I do have msn, if you have that. .

reefnut

Originally posted by beaslbob
If you had a south facing window, lights would be optional. Sun works fine. Just some ordinary type light so you can see the fishes at night if you want.
Even without sun, I just use shop lights on my 55g. Cost me all of $20.00 for the fixtures and tubes.

This is poor advise. Quality Lighting is very important in this hobby.

jc74

Originally posted by ReefNut
This is poor advise. Quality Lighting is very important in this hobby.

It's only poor advice if you're attempting a reef tank. I kept my fish alive and happy for four years with one 40W aquarium flourescent. I raised a juvenile emperor angel to adulthood and a 1" panther grouper to 13". I've since upgraded to reef and got a power compact setup.
Anyway, I'd recommend the topic creater do a Google search for any specific question he has. There are TONS of free, how-to sites on this hobby that include tank setup, lighting info, and disease identification. A book really isn't necessary unless you want to look at the pictures, although they can be good for emergency use. Also compare information on more than one site to make sure it's accurate. Always read the "about us" page.
Don't be discouraged. If you're looking to set up a fish only aquarium, all you really need to start with is a flourescent light, crushed coral or sand, salt, a test kit, a hydrometer, a heater, water conditioner, and a good canister or wet/dry filter with high gallons per hour. You probably already have some of this. That's all I started with and all was well. My brother's had an undulate triggerfish for 3 years in a 30 gallon tank from Walmart ($50 with hood & light) and a cheap canister filter. You don't have to run out and buy $1000 worth of supplies when you're just testing the waters so to speak.

muneyd00d

So reef, your saying that buying proper lights is very important? Does anyone have any used stuff for free? I have no problem doing onlies person to person deals.
Also, is there any such thing as a starter kit? Becuase I dont know all the supplies I need. I dont even know what a 'power head' is. Thanks.

jc74

So reef, your saying that buying proper lights is very important?

Definitely. I personally don't recommend starting out with a reef tank, but if you have the cash at least get the equipment. It's going to be much more expensive though. You'll need 20-40 lbs. of live rock ($100-$200), a good power compact or metal halide light, a power head for water flow, a biological filter, a protein skimmer, and the list goes on.
Fish only aquariums can be fun as well, so go with your means.