Exactly what is "cycling" ??

hagfish

While a protein skimmer is definitely beneficial, you can get by without one. Especially if going fowlr.
I wouldn't have a tank without live rock. About 1-2 lbs per gallon. The rock provides most of the system's filtration. Plus, for me, one of my favorite things to do is search for new hitch hikers that came on my rock. You never know what you're going to find and it just keeps showing up long after you've bought it.

thederek

is someone elses name Derek? I dont think I posted a link to a competitor anywhere....unless Lance Armstong is a SWF.com competitor...hmmm...he may be, he probably cycles faster than all the tanks on here.

aidos

to quote myself
i also suggest that u have around 1 1/2 to 2 pound of LR.
lol especially if ur tank is over 100 gallons that amount would be plenty. sorry if i confused u was ment to add
per gallon
to the end of the sentence, as Birdy has.
:D :happyfish

sammiefish

its when you use your bicycle to run a generator to power your tank during the first 2 months...
sorry, just feeling silly today!

jester805

Originally posted by Birdy
To address the LR issue, it is very very highly recomended to have at least 1lb of rock per gallon of tank water

Is it ok to add the LR to my tank that I already have about 30 pounds of crushed coral in???? Or do I need to take the coral out first??? :notsure:
Thanks

sammiefish

no, just put the LR in and let 'er go... I wouldnt worry about a skimmer during the cycle but as is being said I think it helps a great deal after you get going. It certainly takes care of the little mistakes....

jester805

Originally posted by sammiefish
no, just put the LR in and let 'er go... I wouldnt worry about a skimmer during the cycle but as is being said I think it helps a great deal after you get going. It certainly takes care of the little mistakes....

Ok cool...thanks for the info! :happyfish