example why reef tanks are cool

the rock

this may sound stupid, but in one of my reef tanks which i've had for about a year and a half and nothing has been added to it for almost a year i saw for the first time something new. that is what is sweet about reef tanks, something that you've never seen that has either been hiding or has been hatched shows up out of the clear blue sky. i find that fascinating and fun about reef tanks. its just a little mollusk about the size of a nickel but it has an almost transparent orange soft minutely fuzzy shell and you can see the purple colored body through the shell with a bunch of purple little dots showing through the shell, probably spawned in the tank, not sure, but it was just cruising along chowing down some algae, out of nowhere it showed up. that's what is fun when you have a reef for all you newbies. i know its nothing special but just thought i'd share it with anyone considering a reef tank as things show up and all of a sudden after a year you see a new little creature making itself known and doing well and feeding in your little slice of the ocean

jt

Yeah, I've found a few surprises as well. We found a hermit crab and a slug-looking critter. There's often some new growth or previously unseen life form on one of the rocks....

harris

awesome man!
I like to call the live rock a grab bag of life.
On one of mine there were a few mussels hidden in the crevices, I see them open and snap shut every now and then. Also I spy a few baby snails on my glass occasionally but I think the blue legs may have gotten them.
I alos think I have an egg or something on one of my rocks it has a shiny black ball that is kind of soft, could be something else though fun too look at. about the size of a pea.
Later!

L

lbaskball

One day I found a blue power ranger in my tank out of no where...oh wait..it must of been the blue power ranger my lil cousin dropped...haha jk that was lame yes but I agree with you. Its amaizing how really weird looking things will grow out of no where and you start seeing different types of things show up out of no where in the tank. I know exactly what you mean.
ps. (side note for the serious aquarists: A blue toy power ranger was never dropped in my tank)

hot883

Originally Posted by harris
awesome man!
I like to call the live rock a grab bag of life.
On one of mine there were a few mussels hidden in the crevices, I see them open and snap shut every now and then. Also I spy a few baby snails on my glass occasionally but I think the blue legs may have gotten them.
I alos think I have an egg or something on one of my rocks it has a shiny black ball that is kind of soft, could be something else though fun too look at. about the size of a pea.
Later!
sounds like a bubble algea to me. DON'T pop it.

rhomer

I've found numerous items over the years. I have about 10 dime sized starfish that have just shown up. I had about 100 baby serpent stars in the tank for about a month. I had dozens of keyhole limpet snails in the tank, I never put a single keyhole limpet in the tank.
Thousands of really annoying aptasia :mad:. Corals that were bleached dead and gone for years, just start reappearing and encrusting rocks.
Rob

symon

I have a trick for that bubble alge! Take the hose from your tank vac, place it tightly over the bubbl alge and gently scrub it around until you bust it loose and suck it up! If you look around there is more i asure you!