Experienced with HOT Environments?

digglah

I have an 80 gallon reef tank with a large quantity of soft corals. Generally during the summertime here, outdoor temperatures reach into the 100 degree range and often for consecutive days. The tank is located right next to my "wall unit" A/C ... so that will aid in keeping my tank cool (along with other tricks of the trade.. ie. frozen water jugs in the sump on extremely hot days) ... however, you never know when you are going to not be around on the days temperatures spike. I have many-a-time come home to find my tank has risen to the 90 degree range due to the heat within my house. My previous experiences of this nature always force coral-casualties.. often my fish are able to withstand the harsh conditions, but the corals often fall victim and basically disintegrate.
This coral tank is brand new this year (hasn't seen one of our summers) and just AMAZING.. so I am taking preventative measures this year to attempt to withstand the heat.
I have read that a reef tank that is maintained at 80-84 degrees year-round is able to withstand harsh temperatures in the 90 degree range for multiple days. Is there any truth to this?
Do any of you have any experience with a similar situation?
I am really not interested in purchasing a high priced cooler for the system... but if you have any relatively good ideas/deals on one of these I would be interested to hear.
Thanks.

predator

During the summer down here it can get up to 112 to 115 with the heat index. We just keep the ac blowing cold. Do you have a canopy? If so leave the lid open. Or get you a fan. Sometimes I bring in a floor fan and open both lids to the canopy and let the air blow right through. It will drop the temp. on my tank quick and I usually have to turn it off because it gets lower than I would prefer. Try it out and see if it works.<a href="http://hometown.aol.com/flmeangl44/index.html" target="_blank">CLICK HERE TO SEE MY REEF.</a>

k.lee

My wipe out in the mid-eighties happened, I think with water temps over 86 fahrenheit. :(
I think the main reason for my high temps were a glass canopy, and lighting with no cooling (4 40 watt bulbs).
Yes back in the day that was enough/sufficient light for the majority of corals kept, but barely.

digglah

Thanks for the fan through the open canopy idea.. I think I might try setting up a fan behind the tank aimed at the sump... that might be a cool solution as well.
cheers