experiment

ric maniac

ok, so i have a 5g aquarium that i cant decide what to do with. so i am goin to conduct an experiment involving oysters and clams. i will go to my local albertsons here in a little bit and purchase 3 littlefoot oysters and 3 clams. i will burp them, and then put them in my aquarium and see if they survive. i have very strong flow in here ( a penguin 550 power head). i will update here in a bit.

ric maniac

ok, i got the clams and the oysters. they didnt have any others so ill try again on friday when they get their shipment in. here is a pic of them burping.

groupergenius

Ric, I think this is cool. When you get it all down pat, send me a few dozen of them clams. I know what to do with them.

ric maniac

lol. and burpind is letting them sit in a bowl in room tempurature sw. then after about 30 minuits but one has yet to burp. they poop out all of the stuff that theyve held in there since theyve been out of the water. and you burp them so that the stuff doesnt get in your tank. im hoping they breed (as if) so i can have a tankfull of clams.

ric maniac

here they are in the tank. looking good so far. and if anyone knows, is it at allpossible that i could get a pearl or two?

grumpygils

It would be cool if you could spike the tank with ~50 ppm of nitrates and see if clams really do help reduce them.
mc

dina12

Don't be surprised when you can't find the clams in the morning. I bought some at my grocery store last year - they have been living in my reef ever since.....never thought to try the oysters......intersted in how that turns out.

dina12

Originally Posted by ric maniac
what do you mean? will something eat them?
Sorry - no - they bury themselves in the sand....the only time they will surface is when they die

ric maniac

oh, ok thanks. im going to try to get ahold of some of those black ones and see how they do. do i need to have special lighting for these? i dont think i do but i just want to double check.