External Overflows, who's got them?

jhueb12

I have a regular overflow, no pre-drilled holes in tank, complete with u-tube and ugly prefilter box. Wanted to know who used the externals, such as CPR, and what kind of experience they had. Is it just more asthetically pleasing or does it work better?

I use Marineland Tidepool SOS. Works great, never had a problem, never lose siphon. I found them on ---- for half the price of them at the LFS. Fairly streamlined design too, I don't consider it ugly.
Good Luck,
-Christine

gregvabch

i am currently running a cpr overflow on my 55. it works. would i buy another cpr overflow? no. why? because it's a pain in the ass and i'll sleep better after i've moved everything over to my 75 that has an internal overflow. cpr overflows require a suction device to remove air pockets/bubbles that accumulate inside of the overflow where the water flows up, over, then back down to the back where it drains to your sump. if these air pockets are not removed, you WILL loose your siphon. i used a powerhead for a decent amount of time to remove these air pockets, and you could see the powerhead shoot microbubbles into my tank very often. currently i'm using an aqualifter pump and i like it better than hooking the overflow up to a powerhead because the aqualifter is an external pump, looks sorta like an airstone pump with 2 hoses. cpr overflow's have a

[hr]
on the top of them, so you hook the intake up to it and the return line into the back of the overflow. if you buy an external overflow, get a lifereef.

tree

I have the A Miracle Overflow, works great but requires monthly cleaning of the U tube or it will slow waterflow & build up air in the Utube making siphon loss possible. I would prefer a drilled tank, but since I don't have that, the overflow works. I would buy this overflow again.

B

bildotang

Originally posted by gregvabch
i am currently running a cpr overflow on my 55.
I also have a CPR overflow on my 135. I bought the aqualifter external pump as well, and I enjoy it. My new tank has a built in overflow, so when I change tanks, I won't have to use it anymore.:)
The external pump removes air bubbles that build up inside the overflow, so it keeps the siphon strong and constant. If the power shuts off, the overflow builds up air inside the unit, which will kill the overflow, and keep your wet/dry from spilling out on the carpet. If you choose these products, test your overflow by disconnecting all the power, and adjusting your tank water accordingly.

gregvabch

yeah, my new tank is drilled as well. no more cpr for me, at least not until i start getting antsy looking at that empty 55 after i've switched everything over to the 75. :D

jhueb12

thanks for the responses everyone. i'm going to have to do a little more research on the different overflows available. My hang on overflow broke so I have it rigged up with a 2X4, really classy!

innsmouth

currently i'm using an aqualifter pump
Greg, I just bought a used system with a CPR overflow with the bogus PH setup. The airline tube to the powerhead is always falling off and freaking me out. Where can I get this external pump? Or maybe you wanna sell yours? I'll be in Va. Beach Memorial Day weekend for the Rush concert...hint, hint.....:D

coastie55g

ived used the tidepool with the over flow from them.. never had a problem.. no wet floors or nothing.. going to set it up on monday.. just have to find a lift pump.. any recommendations for a 55 guys/gals??:thinking:

gregvabch

bro, they're totally inexpensive. type this into google and you should find the site who sells them. "Aqua Lifter Vacuum Pump AW-20 by TOM" i don't know when i'm gonna be done with mine. i've still got a decent amount of stuff i wanna do, plus some more research, before i make the big move over into the 75. including the one i'm going to next weekend, i've had 3 weddings and a bachelor party that i've had to go to in the past 2 months. all out of towners. really shoots my weekends. if it weren't for those damn weddings i'd be done by now :mad:

innsmouth

Good lookin out man. Ditto on the free time. That weekend in Va Beach is the tail end of a long awaited vacation that starts in Key West for a week and ends seeing Rush in Va. Thanks for the link.

reefnut

I've used a U- tube overflow for a few years now and recently got a second one. Personally I like the U- tube overflows...

enomadra

I have used both U-Tube and CPR and I would have to say I like the U-tub the best. I have never had any issue with the CPR, I had it hooked up to a powerhead.:D